Need help getting rid of mites!!!

Be sure to read the label directions of each product for mixing the permethrin 10 concentrate. This one lists 2 different concentrations to treat mites on the chicken ( 1.5 ounces or 45 ml per gallon) and another less concentrated for the premises/roosts, nests (0.73 ounces or 24 ml per gallon of water) :
https://www.domyown.com/msds/Permethrin 10 Label.pdf

Please check my math. Each chicken should have 15 mlof spray, and repeat every 7 days until mites and eggs are gone. For coops, nests, and roosts, apply every 2 weeks. Bedding should also be removed from coops and nests.
View attachment 1975755
So the dosage is stronger on the bird then what’s used in coop? I think I made it to strong for coop then but i aired it out good and it dried before dusk !! I think I’m in the clear from mites right now I checked everyone a couple time in the last two weeks and haven’t seen anything moving ! Hopefully it’s over with however I see lots of birds around still ? Ugh

Initially I used a higher dosage in my coops and it doesn't kill the mite eggs so repeated treatment is necessary. I had no issues with the birds. Now that it is cooler out I have been using the dust more and putting it in the nest boxes. I have see wild birds around the coops and pretty sure that is how they were introduced. I have had a few smaller outbreaks with mites this year but hopefully kept on top of it. I spray weekly for about a month then stop for awhile and if I see anything that looks like a mite I spray thoroughly weekly for another month. So far so good.

When I went out to collect the eggs this evening, there was a cardinal in one of the coops. Maybe time to start some treatments. I haven't treated in a couple of months or so. I'll check the birds tomorrow. That has been a coop I had some wild birds trying to build nests in the nest boxes. I would remove the wild bird nests out of a nest box and the next day another one would be in there so I would remove it . This went on for awhile until they finally gave it up. I don't know why they preferred that particular coop.

Back
Top Bottom