Need Help. Health Issues with my dog

I also already give an omega-3 fatty acid supplement to the dogs and I will continue that. I am going to look into the digestive enhancer as well. I'm open to all information and help!

No need to give a digestive enhancer. The dog is already designed to digest meat bone and organs. The more you give otherwise, the more digestive upset you can cause, especially in the beginning. Start with bone in chicken, and remove any skin/fat/organs still attached. Those are rich and in the beginning are also digestive disturbances. Slowly add those in after a week of good stools.

Good luck! Just follow that guide, and you will be fine. I totally missed the part in your post that you are already removing the skin. Sorry bout that!

Also, on that site is a link to the raw forums and lots of folks there have lots of experiance and will gladly help if you have questions, or run into issues.

I personally have never fed tripe. That would would be up to you. Its not a must, but some people believe it helps their dogs.

Sorry, one more question... when I ask for a meat bone exactly what kind of bones am I looking for. I don't know what kind to tell the butcher/processor. I know this will be further down the line, I'm just trying to get ready.
I also need names of coops that I can order meat from in bulk. I live in a pretty isolated area.

Last edited:
Sorry, one more question... when I ask for a meat bone exactly what kind of bones am I looking for. I don't know what kind to tell the butcher/processor. I know this will be further down the line, I'm just trying to get ready.
I also need names of coops that I can order meat from in bulk. I live in a pretty isolated area.

Thats ok. Other than chicken bones, just don't feed the weight bearing bones of large animals like cows, elk and buffalo. Those are very dense and are bad about causing chipped and broken teeth. Pork ribs are fine, and some larger dogs can get through beef ribs ok. Turkey,chicken and duck necks are good also.

Just remember too, the size of your dog and feed bone in meals the correct size. For example, you wouldn't want to give a dane a little chicken wing or neck considering it would be a chocking hazard. Feed bone sizes that are large enough for the dog to have to really chew. That way, the chewing gives you the dental benefits of super clean teeth and healthy gums.

Wow, that's fantastic that you have gone to the Raw Food Diet. I hope you will start to see some improvements soon!

Its great you husband is a hunter too. You can't get more natural than that! You can keep the skin on and also keep the fur on too - that helps clean the teeth as they chew. I can't say how happy I am you are giving this a try.

Just also make sure you don't feed you dogs any processed dog treats or biscuits.

Please let us know what happens in the near future. I saw an real improvement in my dogs skin after less that 4 weeks. And she stopped scratching and biting herself as much only after 1 week.

Good Luck!

Thats a good point jak has. Don't give ANYTHING other than raw during the transition period. No treats or processed anything or you run the risk of digestive upset and starting over. Good Luck! You will love all the results!

Thank you for the support! We are very excited! I did put the treat jar up so even the kids wouldn't forget and give them a treat. I've never seen my dogs so excited for feeding time. My sick female was never one to want to eat, now she is the one that dives in the quickest. I also haven't had any loose stools as of yet. I really feel like we are doing the right thing other than the people at the butchers and family that think we are crazy. I hope to be able to prove them wrong soon.
tongue.png

Thank you for the support! We are very excited! I did put the treat jar up so even the kids wouldn't forget and give them a treat. I've never seen my dogs so excited for feeding time. My sick female was never one to want to eat, now she is the one that dives in the quickest. I also haven't had any loose stools as of yet. I really feel like we are doing the right thing other than the people at the butchers and family that think we are crazy. I hope to be able to prove them wrong soon.
tongue.png

thumbsup.gif
Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom