Need help...how to remove wing bands?

texaschickmom

Songster
10 Years
Nov 4, 2009
Lindale, TX
Has anyone had experience removing the metal wing bands from chick's wings? Bought 4 peeps from Atwoods and the pullets were all banded. Does it take a special tool? Is it in the skin? AHHHHHH!
barnie.gif

It goes into the web of the wing, so yes it's through the skin. Why are you wanting to remove them? Is there a specific reason? You probably won't be able to tell they're even there when they're grown.

Most wing bands have a hole in one end, through which you put the other end (and then fold it over to lock). Just find where the two ends are, flip up the folded over end and it should slid apart.

If that doesn't work, the bands should be loose enough on the chick to get scissors through the band and just snip it off.

Quote:
I believe you're suppose to remove them... the wing and meat can grow into it and cause infection and pain
hmm.png

Would YOU want something in your arm that shouldn't be there? The skin can grow around it, etc. etc. etc.

:-/

Why do they insert these bands? It sounds cruel and painful. If they want to mark the birds why not use a leg band or mark them with a colored dot. I personally would not buy chicks from a hatchery that does this. Which hatchery is doing this?

You can use a pair of wire cutters and just cut the end off the ends off. Then gently bend it straight and pull it out of the wing. At our store, the band generally indicates the chicks are pullets (females). Straight-run chicks can be male or female.

Why do they insert these bands? It sounds cruel and painful. If they want to mark the birds why not use a leg band or mark them with a colored dot. I personally would not buy chicks from a hatchery that does this. Which hatchery is doing this?
Wing bands are safer for the birds. You can wing band a chick on it's first day and never have a problem - with leg bands you have to keep changing to bigger ones as the bird gets bigger. You time it wrong and the bird loses a leg.

This is no less humane than ear tags on other livestock.

Back
Top Bottom