Need help! I have several questions...and no time to grab raising chickens 101 book! Lol

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nkayne04, Sep 28, 2012.

1. nkayne04

nkayne04 New Egg

Mar 25, 2011
    Okay.......so I've learned the hard way that raising chickens is learn the hard way. One of my hens started to brood, she had a dozen or so eggs under her. Well....I came home Wed and she and a single chick were out of the nesting box down with the others. We have a coop like on stilts I guess it's called a tractor and it leads out to a large 10x10 yard. Well I immediately grab the chick because she was trying to protect it. I look in the nest box and only 5 eggs are left. Did the others eat the hatched chicks? I'm mortified if so. Okay....so I figure it's best to bring mama, the 5 eggs, and new chick to garage b/c we were expecting a lot of rain. I put them in a large 100gal waterer. She lays on eggs /cares for chick. Fast fwd to today.one egg has hatched??? Idk but no baby chick. I do find a large mass of "something" with like veins and idk...it was gross. Like it could have been "parts" ? It's the size of my my first thumb digit. Did she kill her baby? Also another egg was pecked open but it was oozing liquid so I opened it and it was the start of an embryo. Like I could see some blood veins and a teeny tiny spot where the chick was starting to form. Are these other eggs bad? She's still laying on them.I'm so confused. Please help.

2. greycat

greycat Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    those hens have a way to tell if an egg is good or not and they will cull the bad and non-viable ones from the nest.

and yes they do peck and eat them

what you saw was most likely the left overs from a chick that started to develop and aborted for what ever reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by