Need help, I know nothing about ducklings

Scorpy89

Chirping
Jul 17, 2018
Lanett, AL
I accidentally hatched a duck egg. I have no idea what to do. Just that I can not put it in the brooder with my chicks. Before you ask how I “accidentally” hatched a duck. My cousin was giving my family duck eggs because her ducks are laying everyday. And I wasn’t made aware of that until just two weeks ago, not knowing we were getting them much earlier than that. Most times when I tend my flock and get the eggs I place the eggs on the counter on a towel and at that time I got a wild hair up my butt and decided to incubate eggs. Last week when the chicks hatched, there was one left and I thought “Oh, must have died, poor thing.” I picked it up and candled it and it moved. So I was like. “Okay, late starter, back you go.” Well, it was a duckling. Imagine my shock.
EC80FF69-A8BE-411E-82BC-33734C44F7C3.jpeg

@hillbilly91 1. The way that ducks drink their water, sometimes they backwash to clean their nostrils.
2. they can’t have medicated starter crumble.
@chickens really
I have a heating pad covered with an old pillow case. And I’m looking for another duckling, I just might not be able to get one until tomorrow. It hatched pretty late yesterday and most of the places where I can go to get them either aren’t open on Sunday or close by noon. I ended up sleeping late today because I was scrambling to make a brooder and a place for it last night.

@hillbilly91 1. The way that ducks drink their water, sometimes they backwash to clean their nostrils.
2. they can’t have medicated starter crumble.
@chickens really
I have a heating pad covered with an old pillow case. And I’m looking for another duckling, I just might not be able to get one until tomorrow. It hatched pretty late yesterday and most of the places where I can go to get them either aren’t open on Sunday or close by noon. I ended up sleeping late today because I was scrambling to make a brooder and a place for it last night.
A heating pad is no good because they can become too hot. It needs to be heat over head that they can escape from if needed.

I've never kept chicks and ducklings together, but the local farm store did this spring.

I don't use medicated starter. I feed my chicks and ducklings the same food but I supplemented with frozen peas for my ducklings because they need more niacin. I've also bought niacin, but peas are cheaper and have worked okay for me.

I wouldn't use a heating pad. My ducklings hung out under a heat lamp, just like the chicks. I'm sure a second duckling would be a good addition. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom