Need Help Identifing my chicks

KWSRetMSgt

Songster
10 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Ft Worth TX
I just picked up four more chicks and the people at the feedstore said they didn't know what they were given, except that they had "Heavy Pullets & Rare Speciality Pullets" I hope some one out there maybe able to look at the pictures and at least give me an idea of what I bought.

Now the top picture I believe maybe Buff Orpingtons, those are the one's they called "Heavys" The bottom chicks so far I haven't seen any pictures yet thatlook enough like those two to give me an idea of what they maybe. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. KWS

Thank You All,

I had thought the golden yellow ones were Buff Orpingtons, But i had no clue what the speckled ones could be. I hadn't heard of Buttercups but I will be doing more research now that I have a name. Thank again everyone. KWS

Hello everyone, I haven't been on the site for a lil while.

Just giving an update on the chicks, they are five (5) weeks old nowand are growing fast.
I had built a larger brooder box for them, several weeks ago. They went from approx 6 sq ft to 12sq ft. But ...
I'm guessing the'll only be comfortable in there about another week.

So I'll be deviding off my coop, they will get about 24 sq ft to run around in.
I'll be using poultry wire to seperate the 5 week olds from my older birds of 12 weeks, those are the 4(ea) Red Sex Links I got back in March.

OH Yeah I want to Thank everyone who helped figure out what breeds my chicks were, the only problem is the ones we all thought were most likely Buff Orpingtons are not looking awhole lot like my older Sex Links.

As you can see in the first picture she's one of the two we thought were going to be Buff Orpington's

The second picture you can see 4 of the younger girls and the people who said two were Buttercups, well you guys were right. As you can see they are finally starting to look like young adults.

My Bard Rocks are also doing very well, Ok everybody hope you all have a wonderful Holiday, and God Bless You all.

KWS

Hello Everyone,

I'm coming to all the BYC Faithfull again for some assistance, awhile back I got a small group of chicks all pullets I was told. Well guess what two were not, I was also told they were White Rocks. I'm hoping some of you out there can take a look and see if you think they could be White's or not.

If you notice the one on the walk (Randy) has a curled tail, while the one on the ground (Boo) doesn't and looks a lot like a leghorn (I think) with some splattered red. Randy also has a small splash of red but not as noticeable. Also both their neck feathers are a yellowish white coloring and randy has several streaks of black mixed in, kind of like a Delaware.

In my opinion their both the same type of bird, and they are really good looking birds. I'd just wish I knew exactly what they were.

Thanks again to anyone who wishes to take a stab at it and throw out some suggestions.

KWS

Hello Everyone,

I'm coming to all the BYC Faithfull again for some assistance, awhile back I got a small group of chicks all pullets I was told. Well guess what two were not, I was also told they were White Rocks. I'm hoping some of you out there can take a look and see if you think they could be White's or not.

If you notice the one on the walk (Randy) has a curled tail, while the one on the ground (Boo) doesn't and looks a lot like a leghorn (I think) with some splattered red. Randy also has a small splash of red but not as noticeable. Also both their neck feathers are a yellowish white coloring and randy has several streaks of black mixed in, kind of like a Delaware.

In my opinion their both the same type of bird, and they are really good looking birds. I'd just wish I knew exactly what they were.

Thanks again to anyone who wishes to take a stab at it and throw out some suggestions.

KWS
They are both the same "breed" or you could say mix. they are red sex link roosters. Roosters are white with some reddish or mahogany colored feathers on their wings, back, or tail, and their neck and saddle feathers are usually creamish colored. Hens are mainly red with some red streaks on their neck and body. Sex links are sometimes crossed with Delawares too, here's an interesting link: http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/8-1/what-breed-is-it-understanding-sex-link-chickens/

Last edited:
Thank You , Veer67 & donrae

And Veer67 that article link you sent along helped a bunch. It squashed my hopes of getting some good layers out of them but at least I now know what I have.

And I'll have to start looking for a different place locally to buy my chicks from now on, because the feed store I purchased them from. Well.......

Let's just say the info they are giving people when buying chicks is not totally correct.

Well thanks again to everyone, and if your in the local area and need a Red Sex Link Roo I have two great looking birds I can let go cheap.

Other wise they will most likely end up in the processing line once we start thinning out our broilers.

As my Grandfather used to say;

"Bee Good Everyone and if you can't, Then Be Careful"

KWS

Back
Top Bottom