Need help identifying 2 week old chicks please and thanks!

KMead23

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2017
Saint Albans, WV
Hi y'all! I got my babes a little over a week ago from TSC - I'm a 1st timer and I just wanted chickens (for eggs) and didn't care about breed so I told the girl to surprise me. I ended up with 2 Barred Rock (I know which those are), 1 Bantam, 1 Buff Orp, and 2 brown pullets.

I don't know who is who aside from the Barred Rocks. Also; thinking one of those may be a male and one a female. I dug around through the forums yesterday and one of them sure looks to be a cockerel (which I thought from the beginning) - is it too soon to determine the sex of the others? I only planned to keep 4 and didn't want any roos, so I am hoping we've got at least 4 hens here. (My neighbor is going to take whatever we don't keep)

I will tell you what I think they are and you guys tell me if I'm right or wrong! (I'm going by what they wrote on the box at TSC)

Here they all are:

Chick 1: Zero clue, I'd day brown pullet but the other one I think is brown pullet looks nothing like this lol

Chick 2: Brown Pullet?!

Chick 3: Buff Orpington

Chick 4: Bantam

Chick 5: Barred Rock (Hen) - this one is very tall and the biggest of the 6

Chick 6: Barred Rock (cockerel) - his head/legs say male but wings look more dark barred to me.

What do you all think??

Yes I think you have a cockerel. The males Barred Rock have a larger white spot than the females. That guy with the big white spot on his head looks like a male. if you got a suprise from TSC then I won't ruin it for you and will let you wait and see.
wink.png

I will say to watch the comb. Some breed have a single comb, some a rose comb, etc. That is usually a good clue as to what you might have. Also watch the skin color. Some have yellow legs, some white, some green, some grey, some blue, etc. That is also a good clue to what you have. Look for feathers on the legs. some have feathered legs some have clean legs. Watch for feathering on the head. Some have beards, muffs, or crests while other don't. Also hatch the color of the ear lobes. Some are red some white and a few may even be blue. Color helps if you know what breeds/colors TSC had on hand. Some breeds are common is certain color patterns while rare in others but most breeds can be found in an assortments of colors so color is not always helpful at the young age to determine breed. There are also a lot of Hybirds. They are not breeds but the mix to multiple breeds. You may have some hybirds too, but once you have been keeping notes for 4-6 weeks look at the Henderson chicken guide or some other reference for breeds and see where yours line up. I would hold on to the group untill they are about 6 weeks old. But then you should know who the males and females are and have a better idea whihc once are the best too keep (choose the active ones that are growing well, don't keep any lazy pullets).

I agree with Gary. But I don't think Chick #3 looks like a buff orpington. It is too brown. It may be a Red Sexlink or something

Back
Top Bottom