Need help identifying a worm!! Can't find anything that looks like it.

The critters that look like meal worms that you find in the soil are most likely wire worms. They eat crop roots, and will be found where there is a high humus content. I toss them to the chickens. Beware. The other day I was carrying one in my hand while working my way towards the chicken run, and the thing BIT ME! I never saw that coming!

The critters that look like meal worms that you find in the soil are most likely wire worms. They eat crop roots, and will be found where there is a high humus content. I toss them to the chickens. Beware. The other day I was carrying one in my hand while working my way towards the chicken run, and the thing BIT ME! I never saw that coming!

This didn't look anything like a meal worm. It was really skinny, soft bodied. I sent the picture to the Ag extension. I can't believe you got bitten by a larvae!!! More fodder for my dreams. I just find worms totally gross. I'll pick around and find earthworms for the girls, but that's where it ends!

I agree with you -- worms are just gross!
sickbyc.gif
The things we put up with for our chickens -- seriously.

Anyway, the Wazine part is not necessary. The valbazen kills the worms over time and will not cause the bird's system to get overloaded. Valbazen is the best kind of wormer to use. Some say to alternate every 6 months with Safeguard but I only use Valbazen. Remember to follow the first worming ten days later with a second dose of Valbazen.

I've never seen any worm like that in my chicken's poo and it really looks like it somehow just landed in the mess. Do you have overhead trees? Still, if you've never wormed before it would be a good idea to go ahead, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom