Need help identifying a worm!! Can't find anything that looks like it.

SilkieNation

Songster
13 Years
Oct 26, 2007
Rhode Island
I found a worm on my hen's poop. Seemed to be the only one and I can't find a picture that looks like it. Is this a poultry worm or something that 'hopped' up on the poop right after she dropped it? If I don't know what kind of worm it is, I don't know what to use for treatment. The poop looks a bit off too, although it was more formed before I looked around in it. I'd say she was a bit off too today, although that might be my imagination.

I only have four chickens right now. They do free range while I'm out with them, but they are in their very clean run most of the day.

I would REALLY appreciate some help here!!

Looks like in cecal poo. Segmentation is very well developed. Does not look like tapeworms I am familiar with as your example has more discrete head region.

Thanks for your response! I looked up cecal worms and they are apparently white. Perhaps I'll look for more pictures. This thing was reddish, less than 1/4 inch long and although I could not see the segments even with my glasses on, my great phone camera clearly shows them. It wasn't a tape worm - got that bugger down from rescuing cats. Don't believe it was a round worm. I''m having a gross out even with one worm...
sickbyc.gif
So, I ordered valbazen as this seems to be what people recommend - $43!! I only have 4 silkies right now! That's 1 ml leaving me with 499... I've also read to dose with wazine first to kill round worms and prevent an overload of dead worms and blockage. I don't think they have round worms. Any idea if I should give them the wazine just in case?

Thanks for your response! I looked up cecal worms and they are apparently white. Perhaps I'll look for more pictures. This thing was reddish, less than 1/4 inch long and although I could not see the segments even with my glasses on, my great phone camera clearly shows them. It wasn't a tape worm - got that bugger down from rescuing cats. Don't believe it was a round worm. I''m having a gross out even with one worm...
sickbyc.gif
So, I ordered valbazen as this seems to be what people recommend - $43!! I only have 4 silkies right now! That's 1 ml leaving me with 499... I've also read to dose with wazine first to kill round worms and prevent an overload of dead worms and blockage. I don't think they have round worms. Any idea if I should give them the wazine just in case?

Oh - you did mean cecal poo, didn't you. I looked up poos and yes, it did look like cecal poo. Still, the worm is a mystery to be solved.

It did just seem to appear (now that I've spent a fortune on falbazine, or whatever that stuff is called (not what I called it...) and even paid for priority shipping in my panic). I don't know about a fly larvae? Are they so segmented and reddish? I always think of your classic maggot - white, little black heads. But, there are all kinds of larvae. Maybe I'll hold off on the worming. I hate to mess with their systems if I don't have to. I'll send the pic to my agricultural extension guys and see what they have to say. In 9-10 years I've never had a worm! I was TOTALLY grossed out by some, no, all of the pictures I viewed. I can't believe how infested some birds can get. I just hope those images don't find their way into my dreams. Thank you so much for your input!

Get a picture of critter isolated from feces.

Fly larvae can be all over the place morphologically. Compare Housefly maggot to a Black Soldier Fly to mosquito.

Hmm...critter is no more. I looked at pictures of the maggots suggested - I really don't think it was a maggot - it was very worm like in it's movement, thin, stretching - the picture doesn't do it's characteristics well actually - except for the segmentation. I'm going to try to figure out how to send the pic to the ag ext. today. More disgusting pictures to start my day
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom