Need help identifying and treating worms in sick chicken!

Just do your normal routine cleaning etc...
Sorry ONE more question while I have u lol (I haven’t had luck on my own posts ha). So I unfortunately was a bit inconsistent on dosing. I didn’t want to have to use an oral syringe to dispense as I have some squirmy girls. So I used the powder mixed in treats and gave to each individually. That said I ran low on powder today. Have some more coming tomorrow. That said each got at least the minimum dose but it varied as each weight varied from 2 bantams to an Orpington. Is it ok to give a slightly higher dosage the last 2 days or should I stick to minimum…?
Thankyou so much for ur help btw !

Safeguard is a very safe wormer, it's okay to give a little higher dose. No problem. I've used Safeguard liquid goat wormer and Safeguard paste before and have given birds higher doses without any problems.
I've given birds different kinds of wormers over the years; Safeguard, Valbazen (my favorite), Levamisole, Pyrantel Pamoate, Zimectrin Gold and Equimax ( the last two for tapeworms.)
Also Hygromycin B before it was taken off the market.

Safeguard is a very safe wormer, it's okay to give a little higher dose. No problem. I've used Safeguard liquid goat wormer and Safeguard paste before and have given birds higher doses without any problems.
I've given birds different kinds of wormers over the years; Safeguard, Valbazen (my favorite), Levamisole, Pyrantel Pamoate, Zimectrin Gold and Equimax ( the last two for tapeworms.)
Thankyou for the help u have been awesome!

Can u let me kno If this poop looks normal about 5 days after deworming? I still see the weird little squiggly things but they are not moving. Are they still pushing parasites out this many days later?

Attachments

• IMG_0419.jpeg
    IMG_0419.jpeg
    793.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0429.jpeg
    IMG_0429.jpeg
    957.7 KB · Views: 6

The poop is normal. I see no evidence of roundworms nor tapeworm segments.
If you are referring to the white squiggly things, they are urates and are normal.
Ok good. I guess im paranoid about the squiggles now as they weren’t as prevalent before the worms… that I noticed
I don’t remember if I mentioned I had a very ill hen. Steady decline and then stopped eating. Anyway after a week she is finally back to eating!
I think bc of not eating she got pretty deficient in nutrients so I’m still giving her poultry cell once a day. She had joined the flock today and is inside for the night bc I could tell her energy was running low by evening. (She was laying down more—which is what made me notice there was an issue).
Anyways, do u think I should do another deworm her again on the 10 days prior to first treatment? Just given she clearly had a bad case..? I’m still on fence whether I should be deworming them all one more time. Honestly it’s so unclear online. So many mixed things.

5 days in a row of treatment should take care of everything (except tapeworm). If you had one that was very sick from the parasites, she may take a little longer to feel better, her gut may have been disrupted more. Giving probiotics can help. If after 10 days following the last treatment you are seeing issues then you could give one more dose, just one day to be sure. For just roundworm two doses 10 days apart is the usual treatment. With some other parasites you need to do 5 days in a row to get them. If the kind of suspected parasite isn't known for sure then recommendation is for treatment 5 days in a row to make sure you get them all. So either way, you did 5 days in a row and that should be sufficient. Hope that helps.

Give your birds plain boiled white rice mixed with buttermilk to eat for a couple of days. You can mix it in their feed if you wish. Buttermilk will coat intestinal lining and is a better probiotic than yogurt. Yogurt tends to run out the rear end. The rice will settle their innards. Your birds will scoff it up because the rice looks like maggots to them. Mmmmm.

5 days in a row of treatment should take care of everything (except tapeworm). If you had one that was very sick from the parasites, she may take a little longer to feel better, her gut may have been disrupted more. Giving probiotics can help. If after 10 days following the last treatment you are seeing issues then you could give one more dose, just one day to be sure. For just roundworm two doses 10 days apart is the usual treatment. With some other parasites you need to do 5 days in a row to get them. If the kind of suspected parasite isn't known for sure then recommendation is for treatment 5 days in a row to make sure you get them all. So either way, you did 5 days in a row and that should be sufficient. Hope that helps.
Very helpful thanks!

I have been giving probiotics that include oregano as well. my hen has been improving and finally eating again— though she is laying down and walking w her tail down this evening. Usually seems to be worse in the evenings (after eating more..?) this concerns me there is a secondary issue. Her poops have finally been solid and back to mostly normal. Not yellow.
Wonder what issue I could even have at hand. Her abdomen is a bit bloated. Though she is young and not the age for water belly so that would be strange. Any idea on what causes bloating after worms? Inflammation?

Back
Top Bottom