Need help identifying and treating worms in sick chicken!

Twilighttwist

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2023
We have a sick chicken (our sweet Olive Egger) that stopped laying eggs a few days ago and I noticed she wasn’t eating or drinking much.

I also saw a few small thin worms in her poop.

I started her on safeguard yesterday. She gets 1ml per day.

She is doing on day two and pooped a bunch more worms today. They were still alive.

She still isn’t eating or drinking much.

Can you help me identify the worms? and will safeguard work? How long till we see improvement?

No other chickens are sick. They all free range in a portion of our yard.

Thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1716.jpeg
    IMG_1716.jpeg
    879.9 KB · Views: 394
Those look like roundworms. SafeGuard dosage for roundworms and cecal worms only is 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound of weight given once and again in 10-14 days. If you give it for 5 consecutive days, that will treat roundworms, cecal, capillary worms, and gapeworms. Shake it well if using the liquid goat wormer, and give it orally.

Thank you! I think I have the right dosage because she is 4 lbs so .25ml per pound would be 1 ml for her daily. I’m terrible at administering medicine because I find it really hard to do by myself. I just hold her and drip it on her beak one drop at a time and she basically swallows it once she feels it run down the side.

I have 9 birds so the idea of giving all of them the medicine is a bit overwhelming. I’m wondering if-since she was the low ranking member -perhaps they are all already exposed and just not having an issue?

Or is it likely she just had in issue first and they all will if I don’t work de-worm them too?

Those look like roundworms. SafeGuard dosage for roundworms and cecal worms only is 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound of weight given once and again in 10-14 days. If you give it for 5 consecutive days, that will treat roundworms, cecal, capillary worms, and gapeworms. Shake it well if using the liquid goat wormer, and give it orally.
Thank you! Any idea how long it takes to see improvement?

Yes, they are large roundworms. The Safeguard will take care of them. I recommend the 5 day treatment and worm all your birds, not just the one that excreted the roundworms..
Would it be likely the other birds would also get sick from it? I know that’s crazy but it’s very difficult for me to give the medicine and to have to treat 9 birds for 5 days
we are on day 4 on the roundworm treatment and she isn’t improving. The worms seem to be gone from her poop but it’s still watery diarrhea or green. And she just wants to sit or walk slowly around. Won’t eat or drink on her own much if any.

Today I gave her 10ml kaytee exact and she didn’t perk up at all. Her crop seemed full of water after.

Any ideas?

I would keep on with the wormer. Offer some treats of water chicken feed and some scrambled egg bits. Some chopped frozen beef liver might give her a boost. Can you check in early morning to see if her crop is emptying normally?

I would keep on with the wormer. Offer some treats of water chicken feed and some scrambled egg bits. Some chopped frozen beef liver might give her a boost. Can you check in early morning to see if her crop is emptying normally?
Thank you so much.

Will check her crop in the morning and try with treats again tomorrow and will also keep tube feeding.

Should I continue the dewormer past the 5 days or stop after 5?

She hasn’t shown any interest in eggs, mealworms, wet feed, etc. haven’t tried the beef liver! Occasionally she will peck at food crumbles when one of her friends is pecking at it near her but she doesn’t eat much if any of it.

I’m not seeing her drink much either. I suspect her crop may be emptying very slowly. Will be good to check it in the morning to know for sure.

I’m really sad because she is my special little girl. Has always been a bit of an outcast in the group. She lays the most beautiful olive eggs. Really hoping she starts to improve and we can figure out what’s causing all this soon. 🤞

The wormer is only supposed to be given for 5 days, so I would stop it after that. Hopefully, she will perk up. I like to add a lot of water into a small bowl of chicken feed. They usually like that and some bits of scrambled egg.

The wormer is only supposed to be given for 5 days, so I would stop it after that. Hopefully, she will perk up. I like to add a lot of water into a small bowl of chicken feed. They usually like that and some bits of scrambled egg.
Will keep trying different food options and stop the worm medication.

This morning I felt her crop and it still had fluid in it, so now I’m thinking there is something else going on there. I can’t feel anything else but fluid but I’m not sure what to be looking for.

Since her crop didn’t empty-have any thoughts what else may be going on?

We gave her a little more tube food after the last dosage of deworming medication.

These were her poops this morning. She had 3 diarrhea-mostly just water and one solid green very stinky poop.

Attachments

• IMG_1733.jpeg
    IMG_1733.jpeg
    683.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1732.jpeg
    IMG_1732.jpeg
    710.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1731.jpeg
    IMG_1731.jpeg
    775.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1730.jpeg
    IMG_1730.jpeg