Broody Hen Just Pooped Out Worms! Help!

calychicken

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2024
Our new broody hen, a ten-month-old silkie mix, just pooped out 2 big roundworms. she had a big normal broody poop and then a diarrhea with worms in it. We aren't sure what to do, since the only medication makes her eggs unable to eat and may affect her babies in the egg (also we can't get it where we live). Is there any other way to help her? She doesn't show any sign of sickness and eats normally and weighs fine. No pale combs or waddles, no missing feathers. If we can't help her, how long might it take to kill her?

What medication are you considering? Is she currently committed to sitting on eggs or is she still laying?

What medication are you considering? Is she currently committed to sitting on eggs or is she still laying?
Flubendazole, but I can't get it without prescription. And yes, she is still sitting on her eggs and laid one yesterday.

What wormer are you talking about? Most wormers that I would use—Valbazen or Safeguard are very safe to give to a broody hen. There is a 14 day egg withdrawal time. She won’t be laying eggs while she is broody.

Can you post a picture of the worms in the poop? You cannot get flubendazole in the US. The ones I posted about in my last post are available, and do not affect the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom