Was this from worming?

awagnon

Songster
11 Years
Dec 3, 2012
Gainesville, TX area
One of my Red Sex link hens has suddenly begun acting off. She was off to herself just standing around, tail down and slightly puffed up. She is 2 years old. Comb color normal, poo is pretty watery though. She did eat her normal amount today, as her crop is full this evening. She was running with the flock scratching and grazing on grass in their playpen earlier today also.

She has been acting like she's going to start laying again today, in and out of the nesting box, etc, but no egg. She molted lightly right before it got really cold and stopped laying during the winter. She laid a very small, but complete egg about a late Feb, then a large thin shelled egg a couple weeks after that. I gave her calcium for 3 days at that time and she laid a normal egg the third day of that but no more since then.

I see her eat the oyster shell I leave out. She's on 18% layer feed. Grit is readily available. She was acting fine about 3 hours ago when I wormed them with Fenbenazole (safeguard). I used the dosage of 1ml as she weighs 2kg. She had no symptoms of worms, but some of her other flock mates had them so I just wormed the whole flock at once. She did drink on her own right before going to roost. She's not up on the roost as usual, but lower on the edge of the poop board underneath it. Her eyes are open and clear and she's alert.

My question is, could Fenbendazole cause a slight upset right after giving it to them?? The other girls are their active, curious selves.

She may be having problems with an egg.

I'd consider giving her extra calcium if she's still acting off in the morning.
You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

ok. I already popped one in her mouth last night, will give her another today. She's eating the oyster shell. Does that stuff lose potency if it's been set out a while?

ok. I already popped one in her mouth last night, will give her another today. She's eating the oyster shell. Does that stuff lose potency if it's been set out a while?
No, OS doesn't really lose potency, it's good to have it available free choice for your hens.

Extra Calcium like Calcium Citrate with D3 is given for a short period of time (usually 3-5days) and when a hen may be in crisis or having a hard time expelling an egg.

No, OS doesn't really lose potency, it's good to have it available free choice for your hens.

Extra Calcium like Calcium Citrate with D3 is given for a short period of time (usually 3-5days) and when a hen may be in crisis or having a hard time expelling an egg.
Ok, that's good to know since I have a large bag, probably a lifetime supply. lol She's actually back to acting like her normal self, staying with her sisters, active, tail up, alert, scratching, dust bathing, bossing the others around, and eating and drinking normally this morning. I haven't seen her poop as much as she usually does tho, which I hope isn't a bad sign. She's going, but they are not as big as usual. They look normal, not yellow, runny, bloody etc. I am keeping up the calcium thru the weekend and hopefully it will bring her back online with her laying. She was my best layer and gave us the largest eggs. Sometimes, I kinda felt sorry for her they were so big. lol

I'm glad she's doing a little better.
Sometimes as they get older they can start to have problems, but hopefully this is just a slight bump in the road and she will continue to improve.

Back
Top Bottom