1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help Identifying duck breed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by clairalucypipa, Oct 5, 2014.

1. clairalucypipa

clairalucypipa Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2014
    Here is a picture of my duck claira. I was told that she was a rouen as a baby because she had the eye markings and all but now that she is 1 year old she still has the eye markings but the rest of her is plain brown. She is a heavy body duck but she doesn't match any of the descriptions of other breeds. i was wondering if someone could tell me what breed she is. Thanks!(sorry I can't find a photo of her hope the description of her is enough).

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    A picture would definitely help, but maybe she is some sort of hybrid since she doesn't seem to fit breed descriptions?

3. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    I can't make out much from that, either. Can you get both a front and a side pic in good light?

4. clairalucypipa

Apr 21, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    On the bottom picture claira is the one on the far right, these are the best photo's I could find!

5. JadeComputerGal

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    She looks a little like a Khaki Campbell in the second pic, but they're lightweight ducks. She could be a mix. Are you sure you can't get a sharper pic, one from the side instead of the top?

6. clairalucypipa

Apr 21, 2014
    After looking at kaki cambells they really matches the description of her thank you! unfortunately I can't take another picture of her at the moment I am away for now but maybe when I get back I will so we can confirm!

7. JadeComputerGal

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    I hope that helped, but I'm not so sure about this. Khakis aren't heavy, and the ducks will weigh only around 4 pounds when full grown. How many eggs is she laying?

8. clairalucypipa

Apr 21, 2014
    I usually get about 6 a week depends if she gets lots of bugs and greens!

9. JadeComputerGal

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    Hmm. Well, that certainly sounds like KH productivity. One reason some people choose them is that they're one of the most prolific egg layers of all the domestic duck breeds. I'm still curious to hear after you get back home if you still think she's "heavy" since I've never heard of a heavy KC.

10. clairalucypipa

Apr 21, 2014
    The reason I think she is heavy is because when I hold her she feels ver solid but not fat. I was wondering if they are more shy because I have two other ducks (buffs) and they are way more friendly, claira has just started to warm up to me. I could probably get you a picture tonight looks like we will be home but if it's too dark then probably tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by