Need help identifying predator (ducks)

SirWaffle

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2021
I'm new to raising ducks. We have a big pond and we made a floating island for the ducks to nest but they are really stupid so they like to nest on the shore, so with are next batch well be making an actual pin, but before then we would like to figure out the type of predator thats killing them.
We have lost 7 ducks in the last few month and were only able to find 2 of the bodys. One was found on the shore with feathers on his neck and back ripped out and his muscles ripped off his neck. He was some how still alive by the morning, but we had to put him down as he couldn't move his neck.
The second one we found was the last one. We just figured out how to get her to use the floating island, but we found out that wasn't the best idea. While she was laying her eggs on the island (very early morning) something some how snuck up on her and killed her. Her feather were also ripped from her neck and back near her neck but no meat was taken.
Possible predator that I can think of (second one)
Raccoon, but all her eggs were fine and nothing was eaten. And it had to swim to get there so she could have heard it.
Feral cat was seen staking out the pond the same night, but the island is floating with 8-10 ft of water on all sides
Owl, but nothing was eaten and she was under a small roof and surrounded by pillars.
Bobcats, huge snapping turtle?, other predators found around waller Texas.
Owls probably the most likely but it doesn't make since do owls kill for sport???

Owls generally eat the head first. Description of the kills does sound like a raptor, but I wonder about the possibility that it might be a mink.

What type of little critter would carry small rocks (about the size of a bird egg) into my chicken feeder? I do notice a lot more water gone but not necessarily much more feed? Very strange?? Thanks for any input.

Owls generally eat the head first. Description of the kills does sound like a raptor, but I wonder about the possibility that it might be a mink.
That why I'm confused something killed her without her noticing which I would instantly assume an owl, but didnt eat anything.
I know that minks will drink a little bood then leave but do they make a huge mess too, although no meat was taken, tons of feathets were ripped out along her neck and back.

I should probably also mention all the killing were weeks apart. I'm probably dealing with multiple predator.

In my experience owls have generally not been 'sport' killers. 'Tons of feathers' ripped out and scattered around a carcass is generally typical of a raptor kill. It's an interesting situation that you are dealing with.

:welcome :frow So sorry for your loss. My suggestion is always to put a game camera up and see what is lurking and it's probably the culprit. I moved some chicks out to the outer coops and put some younger chicks in the chick/grow-out coop. The past few mornings I have been finding a dead chick or two in the coops. I'm moving the chicks back into their brooders today and putting a camera up in their coop to see what the predator is. I'm suspecting rats. The camera should tell. Good luck...

I have some cameras on posts that I can move around. Here are a couple of pictures from this camera, a GHO and a bobcat.
IMG_20200324_110633.jpg
DSCF0001621 06.jpg
DSCF0002112 09Rev.jpg

I'm new to raising ducks. We have a big pond and we made a floating island for the ducks to nest but they are really stupid so they like to nest on the shore, so with are next batch well be making an actual pin, but before then we would like to figure out the type of predator thats killing them.
We have lost 7 ducks in the last few month and were only able to find 2 of the bodys. One was found on the shore with feathers on his neck and back ripped out and his muscles ripped off his neck. He was some how still alive by the morning, but we had to put him down as he couldn't move his neck.
The second one we found was the last one. We just figured out how to get her to use the floating island, but we found out that wasn't the best idea. While she was laying her eggs on the island (very early morning) something some how snuck up on her and killed her. Her feather were also ripped from her neck and back near her neck but no meat was taken.
Possible predator that I can think of (second one)
Raccoon, but all her eggs were fine and nothing was eaten. And it had to swim to get there so she could have heard it.
Feral cat was seen staking out the pond the same night, but the island is floating with 8-10 ft of water on all sides
Owl, but nothing was eaten and she was under a small roof and surrounded by pillars.
Bobcats, huge snapping turtle?, other predators found around waller Texas.
Owls probably the most likely but it doesn't make since do owls kill for sport???
Hello,
Last night a great horned owl mutilated my five half-grown Moscovey ducks and took off with two. The terror and pain those adorable ducks must have experienced will haunt me for a long time, and I have kept domestics of all sorts on our pond for 13 years with the predictable snapping turtle predation in water and coyote on land. But nothing comes close to the sight of mutilated youngsters ripped to shreds in their pen, which had absolutely no breach in the fence nor evidence that land predator somehow climbed over the fence, slaughtered, and removed two carcasses. The only possible entry was from the air, with talon grips of up to thirty pounds and a five-foot wing span on the female great horned owls (I know we have them but never lost a duck like this). Of course I blame myself for allowing my husband to adopt the youngsters before we had a chance to roof their aclimation pen. But anyway, your answer is heck yes the so-called "flying tigers" can certainly carry off a duck.

:welcome :frow So sorry for your loss. I have had issues in the past with GHO's. Are you sure it was an owl? Every owl kill I have experienced only took the head. Put up a camera if you have one because it will be back. Good luck...
This owl had killed some birds. I moved the birds to another coop and pen. The owl came back and got a surprise. I contacted a wildlife rescue who came and got it.
DSCF00031125 02.jpg
DSCF00031125 10.jpg
IMG_20200229_133056.jpg

Back
Top Bottom