Need help identifying this baby chick

alyssajo

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 21, 2014
Mcallen, Texas
. So I am a first time chicken mom, and I need help identifying the breed of this baby chick. The pet store I bought it at didn't say... I looked up pictures and searched but can't figure it out. Anyone know the breed of this little one?

It needs to feather in a bit more and develop a bit of comb. A lot of breeds all look the same as chicks. Breed features will be more apparent when the chick is about 6 weeks old. Is this your only chick?

Alright that makes sense! I will just have to wait. All they said was that it's a female so hopefully they are right about that. Yes it's the only one I have..I have two ducks but they are grown already. Should they always be I groups?

Chickens need company. They are social creatures that live in groups. Unless you are willing to live the next 5 to 10 years of your life as a chicken, then you need to get her some chicken buddies. Chickens don't sleep by themselves, they forage in groups, they preen and groom as a group. Basically, everything in a chicken's world revolves around the flock and their place within the flock. They are capable of over 30 different vocalizations and have their own chicken 'language.' They are not like other pet birds. You can't get a chicken and treat it like you would a canary.

I see! Well thank you for putting down your knowledge! I wish I could have a whole flock but I was told I could only have 3 waterfowl in my city since I don't live on a farm. I understand they aren't just reg birds. I should've known they were flock birds since I knew that about my ducks. I'm not sure If a rooster could be an option for me since they are loud. but would be fine with just another hen ? Or I guess I could find a new home for my chick

Firstly, chickens are not water fowl. Secondly, if you live a city with rules about how many poultry you can own, don't even think about getting a rooster. Most roosters need about 10 hens to keep from over breeding the girls. If getting a few more chicks is not an option, then it would be best to rehome her.

Back
Top Bottom