Need help identifying what this is on my chicks face

BlueMoon-N-Farm

Chirping
6 Years
May 17, 2013

The orange almost scabby crusty thing is on quite a few of my Orpington chicks but not any of my adults. They are in there own coop, perch at night, go outside in the pen during the day, and were hatched out from an NPIP flock.
They are eating chick grower/finisher out of a hanging feeder.
Is this something to be concerned about? Or is it just from them eating out of there feeder and irritating there skin?
Any ideas? They are all running around and acting normal otherwise.
No sneezing, no lameness, no scabs elsewhere but the face, and all eating very well.

Are you seeing it in the combs/wattles of the other birds? It looks like it could be dry fowl pox perhaps. If that's what it is it will clear up on it's own and they will then be immune. It dries up, turns into a black scab and eventually falls off. If they shoud get the wet form they can get lesions inside the mouth and throat etc., that becomes a little more complicated as it makes it hard for them to eat. With your birds I'd probably just keep an eye on it, watch to make sure they are eating/drinking and feeling ok. If so, it will clear up in time.

Are you seeing it in the combs/wattles of the other birds? It looks like it could be dry fowl pox perhaps. If that's what it is it will clear up on it's own and they will then be immune. It dries up, turns into a black scab and eventually falls off. If they shoud get the wet form they can get lesions inside the mouth and throat etc., that becomes a little more complicated as it makes it hard for them to eat. With your birds I'd probably just keep an eye on it, watch to make sure they are eating/drinking and feeling ok. If so, it will clear up in time.

It is just at the corner of the beak and one had two pin head sized spots at the corner of her eye, other then that nothing on the combs or wattles. The first thing I thought of was fowl pox but every single picture I have seen has been big ugly scabs on the wattles and comb which was what threw me off.
The spots are all on the exact same place on the face for every bird. (Correction) Every bird that has it.

Last edited:
Hmmm, that is interesting then. Yes, generally with pox you will see the lesions on the comb/wattles as well as the face. You may be correct that the are rubbing themselves raw on the edge of the hanging feeder when they are eating. Maybe lower it down some and see if that solves it.

Hmmm, that is interesting then. Yes, generally with pox you will see the lesions on the comb/wattles as well as the face. You may be correct that the are rubbing themselves raw on the edge of the hanging feeder when they are eating. Maybe lower it down some and see if that solves it.

I just went out and lowered it more. I also grabbed one of the chicks with the thing on its face and checked it over carfully.
No mites, lice, black spots, or anything. Just the thing, a full crop, and a determination to get out of my hand.
Im stumped :/

Do you have other birds that don't have these spots? Do you feed them any wet feeds like fermented feed or yogurt mixed with their food? If not, I would wonder about a fungal infection, although I don't think it looks like favus or any of the usual things. I might be inclined to put some Lotrimin on it just to see if it helps. It doesn't look much like fowl pox, but I suppose it could be. Here is a link to fowl pox pictures, be sure to look at them all: http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/search/disease/510

Edited to add: Well if you look at picture number 4 on the link, it looks similar.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom