Need help identifying what's attacking my chickens...

chickmom3941

Crowing
7 Years
Feb 20, 2016
Minnesota
Hi. I would really appreciate some help figuring out what's going on here. So, over a month ago, three of our hens were killed on the same day somewhere between 5:30 - 6:30 pm (still light out). They were found by my husband, laying in separate areas of the fenced-in yard. He had already buried them by the time I got home from work, so I couldn't examine their bodies, but my husband said he didn't see any blood or injuries on them, other than some of their feathers were off their bodies. After that happened, we kept our two remaining hens inside their coop for about two weeks in hopes that whatever killed the other hens would move on. I then started letting the two remaining hens out into the yard again, and everything seemed fine for about three weeks. Now tonight when I went to close up the coop, I saw quite a few feathers on the ground underneath a tree close to our house. Luckily, both the hens were inside on their roosting bar, but one of them looked as though some of her tail feathers might be missing, but she seemed ok other than that. She's kind of skittish, so I knew it would be futile to try to inspect her behind. We had one similar incident probably about 8 years ago, where we found one of our hens dead in the same condition as these recent ones, but overall, we've had very few problems with predators. Any ideas as to what could be attacking my chickens?

Where are you located? Are you in town or in a rural area? Have you seen domestic cats around?
We live in central Minnesota, in a rural area. There is an old cat that lives outside (she came with the house), but I have never seen her bothering the chickens. However, I did notice her in the yard early this evening, though...

If you have a game camera, put it up. Chances are the predator has been lurking looking for an opportunity and found one and it will be back. Good luck...

If you have a game camera, put it up. Chances are the predator has been lurking looking for an opportunity and found one and it will be back. Good luck...
I was just thinking this morning that I wish I had one. I might consider buying one if not too expensive.

So, I am back to keeping the hens in their coop/run today, cause I'm scared to let them free range. I sat and observed Amelia (the victim), and noticed that while some skin is definitely showing where the feathers are missing, I didn't see any blood, scratches or any other wounds. Of course, she wasn't sitting still for me, I just watched her as she ate the mealworms I brought for her, and while she was scratching around the pen. Luckily, she seems ok. I'm trying to figure out what would have attacked her from behind (apparently), and pulled out feathers, without leaving any wounds. I'm totally baffled, and don't know what to do for their safety. I have to get this figured out, because I have eight baby chicks brooding inside that I bought when the three hens were killed. I don't want any more losses.

It could have been anything...including a stray dog, doubt it was the cat tho.
Sounds like you've been lucky...hope that has not run out..
I doubt it was a stray dog, because our yard is fenced-in pretty good. When we first put up the fence, our dog found every area where it was possible to slip underneath it. We shored up all those areas, so the fence is really stout now. Plus, if another dog comes anywhere near our house, our dog freaks like Zeke. Just for the record, our dog was in the house, so it wasn't him that did it. I'm just trying to figure out from the clues what could have done this. I know most animals leave wounds, and in the case of our three dead hens, the predator usually eats at least part of its victim. What would have killed three hens within about an hour, but not eaten any part of them? I just can't imagine what it could be...

I was just thinking this morning that I wish I had one. I might consider buying one if not too expensive.

So, I am back to keeping the hens in their coop/run today, cause I'm scared to let them free range. I sat and observed Amelia (the victim), and noticed that while some skin is definitely showing where the feathers are missing, I didn't see any blood, scratches or any other wounds. Of course, she wasn't sitting still for me, I just watched her as she ate the mealworms I brought for her, and while she was scratching around the pen. Luckily, she seems ok. I'm trying to figure out what would have attacked her from behind (apparently), and pulled out feathers, without leaving any wounds. I'm totally baffled, and don't know what to do for their safety. I have to get this figured out, because I have eight baby chicks brooding inside that I bought when the three hens were killed. I don't want any more losses.
I just ordered this one. I already have several but I can always use another one if the price and specs are right. It's different than my other ones but we will see. The price is right and it has 48pcs infrared LEDs which should be good for nighttime vision. Here most of the predators roam at night.
https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-S...ords=game+trail+camera&qid=1592502691&sr=8-18
I saw this fox on a couple of my cameras from last night. I have been seeing it most nights lately it was also poking around the outer coops last night. That picture is hard to see. It was moving along. The date and time is wrong on the photo. This one is hard to see too but there is a fox there.
DSCF0002617 02jpg.jpg

DSCF0001615Rev 01.jpg

My guess would be fox. We have had a couple of fox attacks and it seemed so odd that I didn't realize it was a fox until later that week. Two chickens looked fine, other than that they were dead. :( One was de-feathered, one was decapitated. There was a large pile of feathers in another spot, and three more were just gone.

Your current predator is ineffective, but will get better, so keeping your bird in where it's safe is best!
Setting up a game camera will be a good idea, because it could be almost anyone, and it would be good to know. Live traps can be effective, as long as you don't relocate and release.
Electric fencing is good with most land predators, I'd consider it if you can.
All the best,
Mary

Back
Top Bottom