Need help identifying

sbolerjack

Songster
Sep 19, 2022
Southwest Alabama
I need your help. A new friend joined our pond yesterday. At first when it flew in, I thought it was a duck. Mannerisms are similar. It’s about the size of my Rouens. We do have migratory geese from time to time, but none look like this. Most of its body stays in the water, unlike ducks and geese. It seems lost and was waiting on my ducks this morning when I let them out. The weirdest shaped head.
What do you think it is?

Attachments

• 5384E447-006A-4BD9-9574-CEB91C38F8B4.jpeg
    5384E447-006A-4BD9-9574-CEB91C38F8B4.jpeg
    489.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 2F0B8DAA-00F9-4C28-B115-DC7CFEB2DA0C.jpeg
    2F0B8DAA-00F9-4C28-B115-DC7CFEB2DA0C.jpeg
    340.8 KB · Views: 3
Thanks. After some research, I do believe that’s what it is. It’s strange that it’s by itself.
They are often seem in large flocks but I've seen plenty of them by themselves. My parents have had a few at their pond. I always "encourage" them to move along and find a new home. They are fish eating machines. I think they eat a pound a day....

Thanks. After some research, I do believe that’s what it is. It’s strange that it’s by itself.
I have often seen them by themselves when they are looking for food, in fact one local pond has a group of only four and the other pond has a group of 2-20 depending on the weather!
They are often seem in large flocks but I've seen plenty of them by themselves. My parents have had a few at their pond. I always "encourage" them to move along and find a new home. They are fish eating machines. I think they eat a pound a day....
They for sure eat A LOT! Watching them fly always gives me a giggle though, they are oddly beautiful looking birdies!

Back
Top Bottom