Need help identifying

Depends on where you live. That could very well be a loon.
Loons, anhingas, and cormorants can be easily misidentified. I used to refer to them all as water turkeys until i learned how to differentiate between them. They are similar in size and shape.

Loons have dark beaks that taper down to a point like Anhingas. Cormorants beaks are more orange and turn down at the end, making them look blunt. Also, loons bodies tend to sit higher in the water than a cormorant, more like a duck. Here are a couple loon pics....

IMG_7187.jpg

IMG_7155-2.jpg

I need your help. A new friend joined our pond yesterday. At first when it flew in, I thought it was a duck. Mannerisms are similar. It’s about the size of my Rouens. We do have migratory geese from time to time, but none look like this. Most of its body stays in the water, unlike ducks and geese. It seems lost and was waiting on my ducks this morning when I let them out. The weirdest shaped head.
What do you think it is?
I think its a juvenile anhinga! We get them in St Augustine sharing ponds with ducks,

I think its a juvenile anhinga! We get them in St Augustine sharing ponds with ducks,
It's definitely either an anhinga or a cormorant, that's for sure. Anhingas have long pointed beaks and red eyes. Cormorants have blue eyes and their beaks are blunt at the end and turn down. Can't see the eyes in the pic and can't see the beak very clearly but it looks a little more blunt than pointed to me. I would say with certainty it is either an anhinga or a cormorant but I'm still leaning towards cormorant.

Here is a juvenile anhinga I photographed a few years ago....

IMG_6061-4.jpg

Last edited:
I need your help. A new friend joined our pond yesterday. At first when it flew in, I thought it was a duck. Mannerisms are similar. It’s about the size of my Rouens. We do have migratory geese from time to time, but none look like this. Most of its body stays in the water, unlike ducks and geese. It seems lost and was waiting on my ducks this morning when I let them out. The weirdest shaped head.
What do you think it is?
Your location might help. Cormorants can be found throughout the US at different times of the year, while anhingas are restricted to the southeastern US.

Back
Top Bottom