Need help identifying!

Ashleyboz

Songster
Oct 27, 2023
I have a black mottled Cochin bantam rooster band a bunch of blue Cochin hens. Blue, black and splash. Also some white Cochins. I’m certain these little girls are blue Cochins but I’ve never had them with this pattern. I want to say they will be splash but their wings on each are doing different patterns and some are darker then others.

Attachments

• IMG_2542.jpeg
    IMG_2542.jpeg
    606 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2401.jpeg
    IMG_2401.jpeg
    575.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2420.jpeg
    IMG_2420.jpeg
    382.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2428.jpeg
    IMG_2428.jpeg
    514.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2528.jpeg
    IMG_2528.jpeg
    545.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2534.jpeg
    IMG_2534.jpeg
    502.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2537.jpeg
    IMG_2537.jpeg
    745.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2294.jpeg
    IMG_2294.jpeg
    690.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1991.jpeg
    IMG_1991.jpeg
    412.6 KB · Views: 3
I have a black mottled Cochin bantam rooster band a bunch of blue Cochin hens. Blue, black and splash. Also some white Cochins. I’m certain these little girls are blue Cochins but I’ve never had them with this pattern. I want to say they will be splash but their wings on each are doing different patterns and some are darker then others.
I think they are blues, not splash. Blues can be darker or lighter, and the feathers can have some shading or even lacing (like Blue Andalusian.)

A few white feathers, especially in the wings, can happen on black chickens and also on any other black-based chicken color (like blue that is a diluted black.)

I also see some white tips on feathers, that are probably caused by the mottling gene. Mottling is generally considered recessive (only makes a visible effect if the chick inherits it from both parents.) But chicks with just one copy of the mottling gene can show some effect (like those white feather tips) when they are young. That usually goes away as they grow older.

I think they will probably grow up to be normal-looking blues, probably with some being darker than others.

I think they are blues, not splash. Blues can be darker or lighter, and the feathers can have some shading or even lacing (like Blue Andalusian.)

A few white feathers, especially in the wings, can happen on black chickens and also on any other black-based chicken color (like blue that is a diluted black.)

I also see some white tips on feathers, that are probably caused by the mottling gene. Mottling is generally considered recessive (only makes a visible effect if the chick inherits it from both parents.) But chicks with just one copy of the mottling gene can show some effect (like those white feather tips) when they are young. That usually goes away as they grow older.

I think they will probably grow up to be normal-looking blues, probably with some being darker than others.
I am thinking that they will end up blue too but with our rooster he’s been giving us quite the reason to use our imagination. I’m slowly catching on to this genetic thing and I’ve gotta say it’s really confusing 😦 what would a blue with white tips be then? Blue Mottled Cochin Bantam?

This is another he threw at us….

Attachments

• DDF02406-B274-4C80-B2A1-0B5A4D7A3519.jpeg
    DDF02406-B274-4C80-B2A1-0B5A4D7A3519.jpeg
    397.2 KB · Views: 3
I am thinking that they will end up blue too but with our rooster he’s been giving us quite the reason to use our imagination. I’m slowly catching on to this genetic thing and I’ve gotta say it’s really confusing 😦 what would a blue with white tips be then? Blue Mottled Cochin Bantam?
Yes. Mottling in a blue chicken makes a Blue Mottled chicken.

This is another he threw at us….
I think that's another one that's showing uneven coloring (which certainly does happen with blues) plus a few white tips (mottling having an effect on the chick feathers, even though it should not have any visible effect on the adult feathers.)

Yes. Mottling in a blue chicken makes a Blue Mottled chicken.

I think that's another one that's showing uneven coloring (which certainly does happen with blues) plus a few white tips (mottling having an effect on the chick feathers, even though it should not have any visible effect on the adult feathers.)
I love this page. So helpful and everyone on it is so nice with my sometimes obvious questions. lol! I really appreciate your answers. Definitely making a lot more sense now. You will see me around asking more I’m sure!! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom