Need help in everyday pest prevention

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Paws2u, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Paws2u

Paws2u Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Could someone please tell me what I need to do to prevent the "everyday" pest from my girls? I have read here about lice, mites, worms, etc. I am new to the wonderful world of chickens and have found that the BYC forums are the best place to learn. I need to know the prevention of these pests. What, when, how often, etc Thanks again for your time.

2. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I heard that pumpkin seeds are a natural source of worm medicine and DE is good at getting rid of Mites and Lice. And [​IMG]

3. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    My opinion - the best prevention is a clean coop and limited access to wild birds.

Worms come from wild birds - keep your food inside the coop to discourage outsiders from coming around the coop. There are good wormers out there that you add to the water - but you don't want to eat any eggs while they are on that (unless you have worms![​IMG]).

Mites & things are pretty common. 7 dust works very well and is safe for the chickens (even if they eat some) A little sprinkle around the coop every couple of months should do you fine.

4. turtle1173

turtle1173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    SE Missouri
    Where do you all get your seven dust from? What does it specifically say on the bag? It seems like when I look there are a couple different varieties. Is this the case or am I just seeing things?

Thanks,
    Shane

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Where do you all get your seven dust from?

Most any place that has a plant/garden section will have it

Google "Sevin Dust" for more iinfo​

6. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    I will swear by DE. It's all natural and safe. Just be aware of the different types and use only FOOD GRADE, (sold as Fossil Shell Flour). Some people even mix it in juice and drink it, but I'm not that brave.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by