Need help in FL - Advice on City Codes and talking with Code Enforcement

No facts to get straight ... I can hear the chickens and there is no doubt that they are bringing rats into the neighborhood. No one had a rodent problem until the chickens showed up; its no secret that rats are attracted to chicken feed, they are also attracted to eggs and have been known to attack chicks.
I did join this group because of the Debary post; I am lodging complaints against the neighbor who has chickens in Debary until she complies with our city code.
Most people living WITHIN city limits do not want chickens; those who do want chickens should live OUTSIDE city limits.
Speaking up for what the city people want = no chickens.
As a side note, the neighbor who owns the chickens also owns a noisy barking dog.

I live in a city! And, I want chickens!

Also, lived in a very nice neighborhood in Orlando, there weren't any chickens there at the time, and there were rats everywhere. That's Florida, no? Palm trees = palmetto bugs = rats = snakes.

Well written Kikiriki. I definitely agree. And NoCityChicken, why don't you give us your real name instead of hiding behind a pseudonym?
I think nocitychickens should share his/her address in an attempt to be certain he/she's up to code on his/her property.
Proper amount of shrubs? How about the siding color? Is the grass the proper length? Is it cut in a fun golf course grid pattern?

To be honest, the OP strikes me as the type of person who would still help that neighbor if need be. Just my gut saying so.

I think nocitychickens should share his/her address in an attempt to be certain he/she's up to code on his/her property.
Proper amount of shrubs? How about the siding color? Is the grass the proper length? Is it cut in a fun golf course grid pattern?

To be honest, the OP strikes me as the type of person who would still help that neighbor if need be. Just my gut saying so.

Maybe my neighbor is just going through some stuff. I was really depressed for a while a few months ago, found myself hurting people and doing things I never would have done before. Things so totally not 'me'. I got back on track and everything is better now, but for a time I was so wrapped up in it I didn't see who I was hurting.

And sure, if a hurricane was going to hit us tomorrow, I would be patching his roof and helping board up the windows on his house. I wouldn't want someone to lose valuables or their home because I was too selfish to forgive.

Unrelatedly:

I would really appreciate if this thread could be a little bit nicer to people who do not share our opinions about chickens. I don't think anyone has been mean, but I want to encourage people who dislike chickens to share their concerns, so that we may address them in a professional manner and hopefully ease their minds. It's difficult to get people on your side when they get put on the defensive.

We have the research and the science about chickens and cities to back up what we say; that chickens are quieter than dogs, they are eco-friendly productive pets, they are clean and do not attract pests, and they are fun, interesting animals that would do excellently in urban areas. It just takes a little open-mindedness.

Maybe my neighbor is just going through some stuff. I was really depressed for a while a few months ago, found myself hurting people and doing things I never would have done before. Things so totally not 'me'. I got back on track and everything is better now, but for a time I was so wrapped up in it I didn't see who I was hurting.

And sure, if a hurricane was going to hit us tomorrow, I would be patching his roof and helping board up the windows on his house. I wouldn't want someone to lose valuables or their home because I was too selfish to forgive.

Unrelatedly:

I would really appreciate if this thread could be a little bit nicer to people who do not share our opinions about chickens. I don't think anyone has been mean, but I want to encourage people who dislike chickens to share their concerns, so that we may address them in a professional manner and hopefully ease their minds. It's difficult to get people on your side when they get put on the defensive.

We have the research and the science about chickens and cities to back up what we say; that chickens are quieter than dogs, they are eco-friendly productive pets, they are clean and do not attract pests, and they are fun, interesting animals that would do excellently in urban areas. It just takes a little open-mindedness.
Precisely what I was talking about....

I must say, nocitychickens really hasn't been very nice to us. Have we all ganged up on him/her? yes, we have and we should all be ashamed of ourselves for acting like school children on the playground. I'm the reason I homeschool my children.

Just wanted to update, the fight is ongoing.

I met many chicken enthusiasts tonight and we had a discussion about what we need to do. They were very helpful in determining my next course of action.

I am still very happy to receive questions, concerns, and comments.

There is a way to make everyone happy and retain the freedom to have chickens. Moderation, compromise, and collaboration between neighbors is essential. I appreciate the feedback.

Just wanted to update, the fight is ongoing.

I met many chicken enthusiasts tonight and we had a discussion about what we need to do. They were very helpful in determining my next course of action.

I am still very happy to receive questions, concerns, and comments.

There is a way to make everyone happy and retain the freedom to have chickens. Moderation, compromise, and collaboration between neighbors is essential. I appreciate the feedback.

I was at the chicken meeting too tonight. A bunch of great, helpful people.

Hey there! How is everything going pertaining to the violation notice about the chickens?I live in Debary as well. We have had chickens since April and never had any complaints. It is now August 16,2012 and I just received a certified letter from the city stating that we must have our chickens and rooster removed from the property as of August 29,2012. We have 7 chickens (5 Americaunas, 2 Turkens and 1 Silkie girl (Baby Girl) and 1 Rooster (that actually crows) and a Silkie rooster (Blue) that is just beautiful.

We are a family of 5 and our chickens lay eggs for us. This has saved us $. My boys LOVE eggs! My husband and oldest son clean the coop and surrounding area every three days and it doesn't stink and it's not any more unsanitary than a dog pooping in the yard. I am taking this letter to an attorney friend of mine to see what she has to say about it. We looked up the city code before we got our chickens and didn't find anything saying that chickens were not allowed. Friends of ours have 30 chickens with no problems and the people just a few blocks down the road from us have goats and horses. How is that allowed? Maybe we can ban together and go before the board....?

Back
Top Bottom