Need help/input on sand arguement

Dawn419

Lost in the Woods
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
Evening Shade, AR
Hi Everyone!

My new chicks will be here hopefully this time next week and I am prepared except for "grit". Told hubby about using play sand and he stated that he can get free sand from our friend and neighbor who is a concrete contractor. I told him that all of the "on-line" recommendations I've read say to use play sand so he asks me why...?

Have spent the day researching and cannot find a good answer for him. Can anyone help me out???

I know I can use dirt from the yard but we are "blessed" with red clay here which is hard as concrete, right now.

Thanks in advance!

i'm sorry, i'm probably not much help because i know you can use sand, but i'm not sure a bout "play" sand though but i know you CAN use sand

The sand used for concrete is made from different stuff and is not safe to ingest.

But baby chicks shouldn't need grit- not if they are only eating chick mash.

Once they are outside and free ranging, they should be able to find all the grit they need in your yard.

If your going to use grit just go to walmart, the petstore or grocery store and look for caged bird grit. It costs about 2 bucks and is SAFE. The box will last a long time since you wont need alot of it. Play sand will most likely be ok, but unless you know the source it could be dangerous if ingested.

O know nothing about playsand, or any sand so I cannot comment. i dont use any type of grit at all. All my birds free range, and get their own grit from the ground. I have never had any problems. Even with my chicks, they free range as well, and have done just fine.

Thank you all for your replies!

I was more worried about them having the grit, when they needed it as I won't be able to free range the chickens...too many stray dogs, cats and natural predators here. I was just trying to make sure I had all the bases covered mainly, guess you could call it "new Mom" syndrome (this side of panic attack but that a whole different post!).
lol.png

The fact that concrete sand isn't ingestable makes total sense to me!
wink.png

countrygirl4513, I'm in Quebeck in White County!

Dawn419, I'm in Robertson Co. right on the KY/TN line. I'm closer to Franklin Ky than any town in Tn. I like you can't let mine free range cuz of all the boogie men. But I do let them out to play when I'm able to keep watch with a pellet gun.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom