Need Help keeping my coop secure... suggestions?

Good for you for wanting to move forward and try to prevent this from happening again. Can you provide some pics of your coop, especially where the predator entered, so we can make more helpful suggestions?
Thank you! And yes, I will upload pictures in the morning. I cleaned up the whole coop today for a fresh start and started digging about 2 feet wide and 3 inches deep to put hardware cloth around the perimeter.

Oh no how devastating. This year I put up a 6 foot chain link fence with bird netting on top. I'm in rural florida. I have hardware mesh buried in the ground . But it was expensive. The ladies free range by day, I have to be vigilant at dusk, but their pen is secure now at night. I was worried about bears.
That’s what I have been working on all day is burying hardware cloth.

No shortage of ideas. and posters familiar with your neck of the woods (TY for listing a location) and the local predators. Post your pictures of the current set up and the damage done. We'd be happy to help out.

Also, how's the budget? Some predator solutions are more pricey than others, some scale up very well and become cheaper as size increases. Others don't.
Okay, thanks! The budget isn’t that much of an issue because my dad said I could do whatever I needed to. I don’t want to spend a lot of money though because I’m saving up to expand the coop almost 2x in size. What I’m doing right now to is putting 2 feet of hardware cloth around the whole coop three inches deep. Also pictures will come later.

I live in the Sierra Foothills in California. We have foxes, raccoons, skunks visit on the daily. Coyote are def in the area, though I haven't seen any. We even have occasional bears and mountain lions. And there's a wolf that comes through during certain seasons.

I have a coop on pavers with a dog kennel run (with an actual roof). It is wrapped in 1/4 in hardware cloth with a no-dig apron. The coop itself in only accessible from the run, and it has an auto door that is nearly impossible to open once it's closed (motor-driven). Its locked with a combination tumbler-type lock. The whole thing is surrounded by electric chicken netting with 8000 volts running through it. I lost a chicken to salpingitis and a chick to shipping stress. Not yet lost one to a predator (knocking on wood rn).

I live in the Sierra Foothills in California. We have foxes, raccoons, skunks visit on the daily. Coyote are def in the area, though I haven't seen any. We even have occasional bears and mountain lions. And there's a wolf that comes through during certain seasons.

I have a coop on pavers with a dog kennel run (with an actual roof). It is wrapped in 1/4 in hardware cloth with a no-dig apron. The coop itself in only accessible from the run, and it has an auto door that is nearly impossible to open once it's closed (motor-driven). Its locked with a combination tumbler-type lock. The whole thing is surrounded by electric chicken netting with 8000 volts running through it. I lost a chicken to salpingitis and a chick to shipping stress. Not yet lost one to a predator (knocking on wood rn).
Yeah pretty sure I invested a 1000 dollars in my chain link dog run , hardware cloth , and bird netting etc to keep 20 dollars worth of chickens safe. Sounds like you are the same.

Back
Top Bottom