Need help making a decision on which roo to keep

snowydiamonds

Songster
11 Years
Feb 9, 2008
On top of the world in Alaska
I've got 8 RIR hens going into their third winter of laying and recently raised a roo named Randy for fertilizing purebred eggs to raise a young flock.

I also was given last Spring's teacher/classroom hatch which contained 3 Blue Lace Red Wyandotte pullets and 2 very large cockerels that had leg problems but have developed into very nice birds, not show quality of course!

Along w/the school hatch came a very nice to young chicks and a very kind cockerel/roo that is Andalusian LOOKING...

My problem is I've got to downsize for winter now. I have the RIR's in a nice coop with a lot of room to spare and would now like to add the BLRW pullets to that flock and keep one of the four cockerel/roo's -- which would you keep?

1) Randy, young, immature & sometimes a "caveman" towards manners w/his "older women"
Sept08mybirds039.jpg

He is pointed out by the second goose's bill (left to right on geese) and has the two tail feathers, he's purebred

2) Very nice, young roo named Sir Blue
Sept08mybirds018.jpg

His only drawback is the large comb & wattle stand a higher chance of freezing w/our long winters

3) BLRW very red like the RIR hens but had leg problems early on as a chick, outgrew easily but may pass trait on?
Sept08mybirds014.jpg

He's to the right of Sir Blue
4) The other BLRW which is a bit larger but also had leg problems like his brother, no sign of any problems afterward for either guy once they regained use of their legs
Sept08mybirds019.jpg

He's to the right of his brother (#3 above)

My plan is now changed to wanting to breed BLRW's in the future or a RIR/BLRWx or RIR/AndalusianX? without the drive I had to keep purebred RIR's as my partner in chickens and neighbor has a younger flock w/cockerel.

I really don't want to eat any of these nice cockerels but must so 3 of the 4 must go to the freezer and I can only house one w/the girls this winter.

Which would you choose and why?

Last edited:
i keep Sir Blue he is real pretty roo and from what you have said about him he has a great personailty will be a great roo from the looks of it

Which would you consider the better BLRW? The bigger one with the better tail or the red and smaller one?

I would easily lean toward Sir Blue but wonder if his comb & wattle will freeze easily. That's when I lean toward the bigger BLRW. Randy is now living easily w/his hens but there are acouple who still tell him "what for" and he has the sense to get out of their way since they also tell him "or else!"

Blue would handle them easily-he's the big boss now...he's got the attitude that he's the main dude and protector:)

Also, I am wondering which would provide the best offspring for eggs and beauty?

Quote:
I think you anwsered your own ? I would let the ladies have the man they have already picked. I wouldn't pick the 2 that had feet problems as I wouldn't want to take the chance of passing that on to an offspring. And the red I couldn't really see well so can't judge. I would keep the one the ladies picked. Also if you are worried about the comb and wattles freezing you can put petroleum jelly on them when the temp gets in the lower double digits, just keep reaplying when ya feed. Good luck please let us know what you decide

I should have thought of that myself, the ladies are the ones having to live w/him:) Same qualities I insist on; kind, generous, efficient, beautiful, manly, protective...
lol.png
That makes it very easy! Sir Blue fits the shoes perfectly:cool:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom