Need HELP my chicken started bleeding from it's vent or bottom tonight, lots of blood. Might be her

luv2bmomjen

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Colorado
Hi,

I am new to chickens. We bought 6 chicks in March so this little girl is about 7 months old. She is a white Orphington and one of our sweetest girls. Tonight with no notice we went outside to turn the heat lamp on (it's 10 degrees outside) and we found her on her roost dripping blood with a big pile of blood below her. I would guess 4 oz at least. I brought her in cleaned her up. Looks like a prolapse to me. I DO NOT know if she is laying yet. We think three of our six girls are laying but we are not sure if she is. We saw signs that she might start to lay this week. Then the weather went from 80 to 10 degrees and we found her like this. She is inside in a brooder with a lamp on her. I soaked her bottom with warm water and cleaned it up. It's still raw and bleeding but no blood currently coming from the inside.

She IS eating
She IS pooping normal olive green colored
She doesn't seem to be in pain or bothered too much

Please take a look at he picture and let me know anything I can do for her and what this might be???? Our chickens are our children pets and we do not want to put her down unless there in NO other choice.

Thank you SO SO SO much for any information you can give me, my kids are beside themselves ;-(((

Please any advice?????
Vet wants $500 to do Xray and sedation to check for an egg. She slept well and seems happy. Wants out of the brooder. Keeps jumping up to roost. I need to help her pass this egg

Have you checked to see that it is indeed an egg? Glove up and lube up (olive oil works well) and gently probe the vent area to see if there is an egg? Looks more like prolapse but I'm not sure. If you type prolapsed vent into the search area you will come up with info from some very dedicated people. Best of luck.

I'm not feeling an egg. We don't think she had started laying and if she has it was one time early last week. So, why would she get a prolapse and bleed so much if she is not egg bound. Her poop is totally normal, activity is great, eating drinking. She doesn't want to be stuck in the house but I can't put her in the coop cause she will get pecked. I'm taking her for an exam this afternoon but not paying for X-rays.
Also I just injected her vent with some olive oil to help any eggs come out. She is contracting but no sign of an egg. I'm giving her olive oil in her food cause she's eating a lot and probiotics and calcium in her water.

Quick update. There was an egg. I removed it for her without breaking it! yah! Now just waiting to she is she can pass the next one alone.

Glad you found it.
yippiechickie.gif
It's good to know that's what it was. Hope she turns out ok with the next one.
smile.png

Yah I am actually hoping that maybe she just had an injury that caused the bleeding and not a problem with the egg. Maybe she nicked her bottom or vent on the side of the laying box. Then the other chickens saw all the blood and pecked at her. Either way here is hoping that she lays the next one. She is back out in the coop and I'm watching them close. So far two of the three we know are laying have already laid today so I just have to watch Salt and Pepper to see who lays next. If Pepper lays then we will know that Salt has don't it and laid one on her own. Hope that makes since LOL

Back
Top Bottom