Need Help! My chickens are picky!

welcome-byc.gif

In medicated feed the medication is amprollium which is in the Starter or Starter/Grower and helps in the chicks development in their resistance to cocci. It is sulfa based. I feed it to the birds until I get my first egg then I switch over to Layer. If I have any medicated Starter/Grower or Grower left over when I get my first egg, I mix in the leftover feed with the Layer feed. There is only a problem eating the eggs layed by the birds that have had the medicated feed when they start to lay if you have any allergies to Sulfa.

When you switched them over to the layer feed is the layer feed crumbles or pellets. I would feed them the layer feed. They will not starve. They will eat it eventually when they are hungry enough. You can always try another brand. I ran out of my birds regular feed and went to Tractor Supply as it was the only feed store open on a Sunday. I bought their feed (Dumor) and the birds wouldn't eat it. I went some days later and got their regular feed and mixed it with what was left and they ate it.

I once received a few free bags of feed from a feed store (their brand). My birds would never touch it. I tried mixing it with their regular feed, etc etc. Nothing. I ended up composting all the feed as they simply wouldn't eat it. They were large pellets, larger than what they normally got and I wonder if it was the large size that bothered them.

Back
Top Bottom