need help ! my dog has something on his head

tressiah

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
Beecher, Il
My lab mix, Trace, found in Mississippi along the Natchez Trace, thus the name, has 3 or more huge sores on his head. I noticd them last night when I went to take him off the line ( he chases the chickens) The largest onewas ozzing pus, and it seemed to cause him pain. My husband cleaned them & put antibiotic oint on it. This morning I went to check him again, and when I touched the area he went nuts, and attacked me, tearing my shirt. Scared the snot out of me. He's a big dog too. Truthfully thought about killing him, but then I thought he may be in pain. I found some blu-kote we have for the goats, and tried to use that on him, only got one area sprayed before he ran . I do have pain meds I am going to give him, but what do you think this is ?

he needs to see a vet asap BEFORE you give any pain meds. you could be doing harm
sad.png

Sounds like he's a in a lot of pain. Could be a spider bite or a small sore that just got infected.

You should take him to see a vet or call a vet and ask what they think it might be.

Be very careful around him and if you apply anything to the wound muzzle him. A dog in pain can be a very aggressive dog. Even the nicest dogs, turn pretty darn cranky when in pain.

Don't give him any med with out talking to a vet, if it is a spidar or insect bite, other meds might mess him up even more.

Best of luck!

Since Trace has been so agressive to me, I am going to let my husband take him to the vet. He did allow Dave to look at the area yesterday, but was not happy at all. I am off to work, and the vet doesn't open until1 pm today, so I am going to try to call and describe, meanwhile he's off his feed, but drinking a lot of water. Hubby thinks he has a tumor There are now 5 or more places swollen, covered in scabs and ozzing pus. The front of his head is swollen, but not the eyes or the ears. He had an ear infection about 1 1/2 months ago which was treated with antibiotics. I wonder if it is left over from that

sad.png

There are now 5 or more places swollen, covered in scabs and ozzing pus. The front of his head is swollen, but not the eyes or the ears.

Poor dog! Sounds like a spider bite to me. Brown Recluse or a allergic reaction to the bite. Hope you can get him into a vet quick. Will be praying for him. Yikes!!​

Last edited:
it could be a maggot, we use to have a inside dog that got one once it looked like a lump , then dad mashed it and
sickbyc.gif

some folks call them wolves

I'm glad to hear your husband is taking the dog to the vet. While he is recovering, please don't keep him tied out. If it is a spider or snake bite, it's likely there are more in that area, and he won't be able to get away from them.

Back
Top Bottom