NEED HELP NOW!!! Blind Tiny

Quote:
She has her own house and run. The others try to kill her so she got her own place months ago. She's be doing fine until last night when all she wanted to do was eat and not roost.

I think the bedding issue and not finding her feed is whats making her eat too fast and she is choking too....she is just hungry and gulping it down...

Quote:
I think you're right, the pine shavings are probably confusing her. I'll get those out tomorrow. Her crop is full so I don't know why she's so hungry. I still have her in the cat carrier until tomorrow.

Last edited:
A few of my girls will eat to fast when the feeders get changed and honk for
anywhere from 1 to 30 minutes. They also do that open mouth thing that makes
people think gape worms.

She's probably really hungry.

How about putting multiple feeders and waters in there for her. Maybe that
will make it easier on her.

How bout grit? Does she have any or even know what it is?

Last edited:
One thing I have found to help blind animals find the water source is to put a sound source on it. I often use a fountain or aerator (an aquarium pump works great) or something as simple as an old fashioned ticking clock. They can hear it and will soon learn to associate it with the water.

I have to say that raising a blind chicken is very hard. I had one last year that I kept for around 6-8 months. It ended up being a nightmare.

"Helen" got lost several times in the 100 degree weather. I found her at the neighbors in the middle of the driveway twice barely alive. Once she was of laying age the roosters wouldn't leave her alone and she couldn't get away.

Unless you have a special place to put her, I wouldn't recommend the kind of life she is going to have....

Just my two cents from my experience.

Oh southern,
Sorry to hear about blind tiny. I have been fallowing here and reading every post about her. I love her and you are such a good chicken momma to her. I hope she just got overly hungry and will be fine in the morning. There are a few ideas on here about what to do with a swollen crop, I think one involved oil or something, maybe if she has something stuck in there you could read up on those and maybe get it out. I don't know just grabbing at straws here. Let us know how she is in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom