Need help NOW! Emergency hatches! Please advise!

The humidity should stay up now until these guys are finished hatching. After one hatches, you should actually see the humidity go UP because of the newly hatched and still wet chick. If not, just take out one of the red air plugs on the lid of the incubator (the one that doesn't have anything metal blocking it from below) and use a dropper to add a few drops to the bottom of the incubator.

Awww.... cant wait to see the fuzzy wuzzys
jumpy.gif

UPDATE: Checked the others in the bator (with turner) to find that ANOTHER had pipped! And its an actual HOLE! So, moved it to the hatcher too! Only thing with this one is that no beak is seen in the hole? However, it is peeping (though muffled) and wigglin around. Will it turn around, or will I have to unzip it to get its head free?

what breed are the chicks?

(I may have overlooked it - sorry)

My gosh, they look GIANORMOUS compared to the button quail eggs I've been staring at all week!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
The eggs don't seem to be the right color or darkness for penedesencas but it may be because of the particular flock genetics and the time of year. My penedesencas hatched out in the same way as other breeds. One breeder said to raise the humidity up to about 80% and said they may take an extra day to hatch. Another breeder said that his penedesenca eggs were sensitive to high humidity and not to get it up that high. I wasn't sure so I just followed standard incubation rules. I have tried penedesenca eggs a few times this year and have had horrible hatch rates (even under veteran broodies) but I hope yours turns out ok. good luck!

Your 8:00 AM update:

Things are bustling here! First 2 hatched completly. "Egg 2" baby is doing great, standing, walkin around, peepin LOUDLY at me! "Egg 1" baby still has to finish absorbing the yolk sac so he/she can stand better. "Egg 3" is zipping the shell, and this morning there were FIVE more that had pipped!

What the devil is going on? I could see this person (that I got the eggs from) missing one or two eggs, but ALL 12? Of the 12, there are 2 that have hatched and 6 more pipping and peeping. Did I do something wrong during incubating to have them hatch a full WEEK early? Are they some scientific genetically mutated super chicken with a shorter incubation period? I'm confused.

So far, the remaining 24 eggs appear on track for being at Day 14, but ALL (except one infertile) the penedesenca eggs are fully muture and hatching. What the crap? lol

Picco....her breeders are a little older and I hear that egg color lightens as chickens age? They are darker in person and when compared to some RIR eggs I have in the bator, they look WAY darker. But someone I talked to said the heat and or season can affect egg color too. Is that right? Either that, or she goofed and they're mixes of something....

Edited to add: I'll be right back with photos! Uploading them now!

Last edited:
Oh my!! How CUTE!!
love.gif
They will dry....give them about 24 hours or so. Its very humid in there right now, with all the hatching...I cant waite to see pics of them all dry and fuzzy. GREAT HATCH!! Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom