need help now, plz

Sometimes you could get another kitty or even a dog to do the rear end clean up. sounds yucky i know but it might be more effective then a washcloth. Also, if she didn't eat for a little while, she just might not have much poo in there. She's sooooo cute.

Quote:
Thanks Rooster, I never heard of these before, and I tried the warm wash cloth still no poo, I am going to try Linda's suggestion later, going to pick up some stuff for her eyes, they are kind of goopy other than that she is doing great, ears still clear,
yippiechickie.gif

Jessie, Glad you like her name,
lau.gif

ole_crone, She has all the openings, how sad for the one you found.

Hey Chicks Rule!

Glad to hear that kitten is doing well. I would strongly suggest that you treat her with an oral antibiotic, though. Those goopy eyes, and the infected ear are signs of illnesses that can become serious in kittens. She most likely has some kind of respiratory infection and just treating things topically won't work. Even if it's not a serious infection yet, it's making her a little weaker. Almost all kittens have worms, too. Being hand fed is already a shaky way for a kitten to start out, but taking care of these issues will help alot! I know it's an expense, but catching it early will save you some money later. Again, some vets will let you pick up antibiotics without seeing the kitten, or they may give you break if they know the she was a rescue. Hope Maggie keeps getting better and better!

Ok y'all I am soooo stoked. About five this afternoon I honestly thought Maggie was taking her final breathes, so I got desperate, I had tried everything I could think of and tried all your suggestions to get this baby to poo with no luck, I called my little sis for a shoulder to cry on and then it hit me,
he.gif
I made a laxative from epsom salt and warm water and gave an 1/8 of a tsp orally to Maggie that was at 6:20 and at 9:50 we had poo, I have never been so happy to see crap in all my life. Maggie and I both feel so much better. Will be getting antibiotics tomorrow, and it seems things are going our way.
woot.gif

Thank you all sooooo much, for your care and concern and all your great suggestions.

I successfully raised 5 kittens from 3 days old when mom was killed by a car. It wasn't easy! Every 3 hours for a wk (then it tapered off SLOWLY) they needed feeding and pooping. They are now 10 yrs old.

Getting them to poo is pretty easy. I am not sure what you are feeding. Cows milk is a huge no-no, and it will constipate them and doesn't have the right stuff. "Tiger" milk, KMR or something similar is best. Walmart or vets have it.

Anyway, use a terry wash cloth, dip it in warm water (don't squeeze it completely out) and then put it on her tushy and move it in a circle. Don't lift it up and rub it though, its more of a pushing movement. Right after feeding is best since it gets everything going. Then she goes to sleep full and pooped out.

If she hasn't pooped in a while and her stools are firm or her tummy is distended, give some mineral oil in her formula. 3 drops per ounce of body weight is recommended. AND never ever feed a chilled kitten. Good luck!

Thanks Chickiepoo, I had been trying all those things since Sunday and just tonight got her to poo. Her tummy wasn't distended suprisingly, but, I knew I had to get her going somehow.

I am feeding her a recipe that I got from someone on another post here and she is eating really well. I have her on a heating pad right now and hot water bottles through the night.

She is eating great and sleeping through the night, getting her to poo was the problem and now that is fixed.

Quote:
Thanks Rooster, I never heard of these before, and I tried the warm wash cloth still no poo, I am going to try Linda's suggestion later, going to pick up some stuff for her eyes, they are kind of goopy other than that she is doing great, ears still clear,
yippiechickie.gif

Jessie, Glad you like her name,
lau.gif

ole_crone, She has all the openings, how sad for the one you found.

If you dig up info on Ernest Hemingway you're bound to run across this at some point.

He bred these cats down in Key West I think.

I've owned several, and they are amazing to watch.
I had a black max with 6 toes on each front paw.
He had an opposible "thumb" that he could use very well.
Very bad knews for my other cats, when they fought he would grab on, and once he grabbed inside the other cats nostrils, sinking opposing claws into its septum.

We had to physically seperate them, it was like pulling a fish hook out of a fishes mouth.

Some of those cats had 6 toes on each foot, or even more!
Most of the extra toes don't have attached bones.

Hey Rooster, I am so happy to have this baby in my life, and you know she has the six toes in front and a toe nail between the last two toes on the outside, cool. on her back paws the thumb is just kind of hanging there????

The recipe I am using is:

can of evaporated milk
can of water
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp honey

But today I did give her some Karo, I was desperate, lol

The formula I mentioned is the same, but kayro syrup instead of honey.

The extra back toes usually do just hang.

I miss my 6 toed cats. my last one died in 1987.

I've had to pull maggots out of a cat before, I know just what you are going through.

Back
Top Bottom