need help now, plz

chicks rule

Songster
12 Years
Apr 10, 2007
SW MO
Not a chicken emergency but, I was given a kitten yesterday(momma disappeared), probably barely two weeks old, I have been bottle feeding it and it has taken to that well, just now noticed it seemed to have a bloody ear. I got to looking and there are or were maggots in her poor little ear. I got at least 22 out using peroxide. Is there any hope, I will keep an eye on it, but, if you all can think of anything else I can do please let me know, and Thanks

If I were you I would be getting a cutip and a little alchol and dabbing the cutip in the achol verry gently not too much and gently try to get out as most of those little devils as you can but make sure not to get alchol in the little kittens ear drum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx, I have gotten 22 out already with the peroxide, put a drop or two of alcohol after to help dry it, looks clear right now and I will be checking it quite often, was concerned as well about the after effects???

Quote:
sleeping right now, curled up with a hot water bottle. Haven't seen anymore and let me tell you that is the cleanest ear I have ever seen. Ewww is right, that has to be right up there with one of the grossest things I have ever done. I got it thinking my momma cat would take to it, but, she didn't so now it is up to me. It doesn't act like it has effected it neurologically, so we shall see. Do you have any suggestions or advice???

You are doing a beautiful job so far. This kitten stands a good chance. I once took a homeless cat to the vet that had an injury so bad that it was infested with thousands upon thousands of maggots - you should have seen them run in all directions in the vets office(not to mention in my car :eek:) - ewwwww squared. No being should have to endure the misery this poor cat was enduring. Anyway, the vet flushed them out and treated the wound and administered antibiotics and this exceedingly ill cat rallied.

You are smart to keep the kitten warm and cozy.

I assume you are using KMR or some equivalent kitten formula that has the nutrients they need at this extremely tender age - crucial. At only 2 weeks old, very frequent feedings are necessary which means you will get very little sleep for awhile.

As far as what to do next, I think that depends on whether the kitten is ill or "only" has this one wound that responds well. If you can, a vet would be my first recommendation. If you can't go to a vet unless absolutely necessary, see if it eats and poops well.
A vets office may at least offer you advice via phone and if not them, perhaps a kind hearted cat rescue group will help. This kitten may not have the antibodies it needs from mom, having been separated way way too early from her so that is a question for the vet.....

I am sending tons of good wishes for all good things here. JJ

You will need to help the baby go to the bathroom. The mother does it by cleaning her baby. I do it by taking a damp paper towel and gently wiping it's bottom. You must stimulate to use the bathroom. About twenty minutes after feeding. I love to raise orphaned kitties.

antibiotics would be a very good idea! some vets will let you get them without seeing the kitten if they know you've cleaned the wound well, and if you tell them that finances are a problem. they'll need to know the weight of the kitten. it could prevent neurological problems if there's an on-going infection. you're doing an awesome job!

Back
Top Bottom