1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help on chicken run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenkid25, Mar 24, 2016.

1. chickenkid25

chickenkid25 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    I willbe having a chicken run for my new chickens and i was wondering what is best for them on the ground in the run, grass or dirt or sand or whatever. Anything that you guys tink is best. Thanks:)

2. knightgang

knightgang Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016
    Southeast, GA
    Depending on the size of the run and the number of chickens you have, I am pretty sure any grass will be turned to dirt in a short period of time. Many will use pine shavings as a bedding layer on the dirt once the grass is gone. Others use sand.

Me, my coops can be moved like a tractor, so I leave mine as a dirt floor until I get around to moving it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3. Gabej

Gabej Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2016
    Houston, Texas
    I have a rather shallow water table so any rain mucks up the backyard for a couple days. I put down a good layer of straw and change it out once a week or as needed. We also compost a ton of our yard clippings, any weeds from the garden beds, coffee ground etc, so occasionally I'll put a thick layer of compost for the hens to dig in they seem to enjoy finding bugs and worms to eat.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by