Need help on decision.

Jferlisi

i dont eat chicken!!!!
9 Years
Nov 2, 2010
Menifee CA
So i have a kinda problem atm. So my coop is 8x12 and its 3 feet off the ground, so the problem is that my bantams wont go up the ramp into the coop. The bantams include 3 silkies and 1 cochin. So the dilemma is do i cut off a foot or two off the legs even tho that will lower the nest boxes and the boxes open outwards so ill have to bend down to collect eggs or just make a small coop under the coop for the bantams?

This is the coop.
DSC05035.jpg

Here is the 8 foot ramp.
DSC05025.jpg

I'd just place them in the coop each evening until they get the hang of coming down the ramp each morning, and back up again each evening or when they need to eat/drink....they'll get the hang of it. If the big gals can do it, they can do it as well.

ETA: You might also add more cross pieces on your ramp so their shorter legs can get some traction....
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Thats what i did for the first two weeks. And they dont go down the ramp they jump out the opening of the pop door. I have tried setting them on the middle of the ramp and they just jump off it. One silkie wouldn't even come out of the coop at first then she just started jumping. Also the quad is for breeding.
ETA* I put chicken wire down on the ramp under the rungs/slat things.

Last edited:
Well, if it's strictly an either/or thing, I'd vote for making a second coop for the little ones. However, Beekissed had a great idea, if you have the time & energy. My bantams (2 of my 10, the rest are standard-sized ) go up the ramp just fine. I have already forgotten, but I think we might have guided them up a couple of times when we made this new coop.

Since you just have a quad is it possible to make a coop just for them? Silkies are not stupid, their crests, beards etc. make it very difficult to see. If you never plan to show them you could do just trimming on them so they can see. People tell me it makes a world of difference afterwards. I don't believe silkies lay that often, so you wouldn't be doing much bending for I assume 3 pullets and a chochin(cockeral???)Life is one big compromise, what's one more?

I think you have the steps to far apart for such a small chicken. I don't have the small breeds but I spaced mine at 4 inches after I saw the BO's having a problem walking up the ladder I made. Now they all walk the ladder, even the 10 lb GLW rooster. But sometimes the sexlinks jump up about halfway and walk on in.

The step spacing was my problem.

What if you make a platform outside the pop door and then have the ramp come off of that? You can even make 2 platforms and ramps in between them to cut the slope of the ramp down.

Back
Top Bottom