Need help on details..

Aphoti

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 1, 2009
So, I am possibly moving to Long Beach. The municiple code states that :

The following words, as used in this chapter, shall have the signification attached to them in this section, unless otherwise clearly apparent from the context:
A. "Coop" means and includes any pen, coop or enclosure wherein live fowl are kept and maintained.
B. "Crowing fowl" means and includes any male fowl capable of making a sound peculiar to its species or type.
C. "Fowl" means and includes male and female chicken, duck, goose, seafowl, peacock, turkey and pheasant.
(Ord. C-7781 § 1, 2001).

6.20.030 Fowl--Distance from dwelling.
A. Except as provided in subsection 6.20.030.B, no person shall keep or maintain any live fowl within the city less than fifty feet (50') from any single-family or two-family dwelling or less than one hundred feet (100') from any hotel or dwelling occupied by, or designed for the occupancy of three (3) or more families.
B. One live fowl may be kept or maintained as a pet on any lot or parcel of land within the city, provided that the pen, coop or other such enclosure for any such pet fowl shall be no less than twenty feet (20') from any structure designed or used for human habitation.
(Ord. C-7781 § 1, 2001).

6.20.050 Crowing fowl prohibited.
No person shall keep or maintain or cause to be kept or maintained any crowing fowl.
(Ord. C-7781 § 1, 2001).

So, I wanted to get a single turkey.
I was wondering if it would HAVE to be female?
Is the gobbling, (according to the definition there) considered crowing?
As I take it you can have a bird sitting at your house screaming all day long, as long as it is not male? If so, I might just get a goose.

Thanks for any help.

You can have one bird, as long as it's kept at least 50 feet from neighboring houses and 100 feet from any apartment or hotel. If it is a species where the males crow, such as chickens and peafowl, you must have a female. If it's a species where the males are just as quiet as the females, it doesn't matter what gender you get.

Quote:
Or a guinea or a duck.

IMO, the best way to limit noise is to create a decibel rule that applies to ANYTHING/EVERYTHING: air conditioners, generators, dogs, cats, chickens, lawnmowers, stereos, ipods, power tools, parties, etc.

The nuisance is the noise, not its cause.

Thanks guys. Actually I found a loophole. I'll just get an australian scrub turkey. They make no noise other than grunting, and are not even related to turkeys/ any poultry birds, so livestock laws/etc don't apply to them.
smile.png

Not an easily obtained bird though. If anyone knows where to find one in the US, let me know.
Brush-turkey_Australian_Luff.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom