Need help on dosing for dewormer

Mother hen 119

Chirping
Oct 18, 2017
Millington, MD
20181114_134457.jpg
20181114_134506.jpg
My chickens have worms in the vet told me to get Safeguard dewormer. The problem I am having is that is used for goats and I don't know how to break it down or give it to them. Can anybody help me

You're using the suspension version, and it will settle out of water, so here's what you do:

Mix one ounce of Safeguard in one cup water. Then mix with about 15 to 20 pounds of feed. Cut this down if your flock is very small. Feed for three days. Repeat in 10 days. Egg withdrawal is two weeks.

It's much easier using the paste version. If you can exchange the bottle you bought, it would make life simpler. You only need to squeeze out one pea size dollop per chicken. Repeat in 10 days to be sure you got all the worms that may have hatched.

You're using the suspension version, and it will settle out of water, so here's what you do:

Mix one ounce of Safeguard in one cup water. Then mix with about 15 to 20 pounds of feed. Cut this down if your flock is very small. Feed for three days. Repeat in 10 days. Egg withdrawal is two weeks.

It's much easier using the paste version. If you can exchange the bottle you bought, it would make life simpler. You only need to squeeze out one pea size dollop per chicken. Repeat in 10 days to be sure you got all the worms that may have hatched.
What I have is liquid

This is why I like the paste version. I squeeze a fingernail size amount of the goop and wipe it off onto the inside of the beak of the chicken so I know they got the entire dose. It's apple flavored so chickens like the taste. The liquid is just too drawn out for busy or impatient people. But Safeguard is a good all purpose wormer.

Back
Top Bottom