Need help picking a special Drake for a special hen

Even though your drake is special to you, I’m not so sure it’s not him you need to rehome, if indeed it IS him that is hurting your girls. Balding spots on the back of the neck is one thing, but cuts on the hen’s side(s) is another.

I know this sounds a bit cray-cray (crazy), but it could possibly be the other hens doing the damage to your girl. I have one runner drake to four hens and as odd as this sounds, he has to “wait his turn.” The hen-on-hen stuff is:eek: and :gig to watch and is responsible for most of the lessening feather fluff on the girls’ necks. I can’t blame that one on my RalphieDux!

Sometimes there is a bird, be it a chicken or duck, that is just always a victim, no matter how hard you try to reverse the bullying. However, you can’t have one that is constantly being injured. If you see blood, you’ve gotta intervene.

Your run is plenty long enough, but it would be really good if you could double its width - a 20 x 12 would be great, or go even bigger if you get more birds, unless they free range. You say your girl looks sad when she looks at the others, but at least she isn’t being physically injured.

Oh, and welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom