need help planning duck house & enclosure for bantam and bantam cross ducks

hfchristy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 10, 2012
I have three ducklings who will need a bigger home before long. The were expected to be Australian Spotteds, but only one has the "mallard" look that this breed typically has, so it looks like the old Cayuga/Swede played a part in one or both of the others. These two are also noticeably larger, but not as big as the Welsh Harlequins I hatched at the same time for a friend, so I'm hoping that they will stay on the small side.

What do I need to consider in a duck house? How big? If I don't clip their wings, should they have an enclosure that they can fly in? And if so, do they need spots to fly to? platforms or something?

I'm anticipating making a "chicken tractor" sort of enclosure to move around the yard, but I see a lot of duck houses with no doors, and wonder whether it would make sense to make a duck house with a small attached yard, so they can go in and out at will.

Thanks!

I have three ducklings who will need a bigger home before long. The were expected to be Australian Spotteds, but only one has the "mallard" look that this breed typically has, so it looks like the old Cayuga/Swede played a part in one or both of the others. These two are also noticeably larger, but not as big as the Welsh Harlequins I hatched at the same time for a friend, so I'm hoping that they will stay on the small side.

What do I need to consider in a duck house? How big? If I don't clip their wings, should they have an enclosure that they can fly in? And if so, do they need spots to fly to? platforms or something?

I'm anticipating making a "chicken tractor" sort of enclosure to move around the yard, but I see a lot of duck houses with no doors, and wonder whether it would make sense to make a duck house with a small attached yard, so they can go in and out at will.

Thanks!
Look at this and maybe get some ideas, yours wouldn't have to be this big although if it was you could always add more, but I really like this setup. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/669560/keeping-ducks-in-a-pen-only/10#post_9042724

Are there any particular things to keep in mind when planning housing for bantams?
I don't feel like I have a good sense yet for just how big a bantam duck is compared to full size, or just how much of an urge they have to fly, or anything like that.
Does their ability to fly make them want to have places to fly to?

Christy

Are there any particular things to keep in mind when planning housing for bantams?

Not really it's basically the same as a standard breed pen but on a smaller scale.

I don't feel like I have a good sense yet for just how big a bantam duck is compared to full size

Mine are less than half the size of my standards.
, or just how much of an urge they have to fly, or anything like that.
Does their ability to fly make them want to have places to fly to?

Not really. Mine only really fly when they get spooked

Christy

Back
Top Bottom