Need help please! Bantum with stiff toes

legleeagle

Hatching
10 Years
Nov 7, 2009
I have a Mille Fleur hen that my son brought in because he thought she was thin. He washed her feet because he said that she had poop and bedding stuck to them. She seemed fine all last week. She was eating, perching and the like. She is with a few of the other banties in the house and when i was feeding them this morining I noticed she was walking funny so I picked her up and noticed that the toes on both her feet are stiff and stuck straight out. Her legs move fine its just the toes. I took a few pics so you could see what I am talking about. Any advice on what this is and how to treat it would be most appreciated!!!

44154_jan_2010_017.jpg

44154_jan_2010_018.jpg

Last edited:
pic is not great but if they are white and crusty, looks like a really bad case of leg mites. I use vetRX to keep the legs and feet oiled up. I have heard people using crisco to smother them. Have to keep it on for days maybe more. Hope she doesn't loose the toes. You should treat all your chickens if one has them. Sure someone will chime in with more knowledge.

I am in Michigan. Yes its very cold here...seems to be a hard year for us and the chickens. Its possible its frostbite but her toes were fine when we first brought her in. She was perching and everything just slightly underweight.

I might be wrong but my silkies feet looked like that when I got him and it was leg mites.Maybe someone with more knowledge then me can help.This is what I used and it worked, Dip legs in mixture of 1 part kerosine and 2 parts raw linseed oil.Repeat at 7-day intervils for 3 weeks.In between I used vasiline to soften them up.

Last edited:
If you can more easily get Bagbalm, it is wonderful stuff. Green metal can - feed stores around here have it. (you can also order on line but I would make it a RUSH delivery if so). I gently coat my feathered friend's legs & tootsies whenever I see the start of any dryness or scales lifting. I check their feet daily. Your bird's feet are far worse than I have ever seen. Do the treatments daily until regeneration is obvious. Keep her in and warm for now.
JJ

Thanks for all the adivce so far. I did soak her feet in warm water and some of the larger build up of scales or crudd became soft enough to remove. I am weary of hurting her so I am trying things in small bits.

I wish I was better at taking pictures sorry for that, but I did try to take a few more closer up so you could see more detail and these were the best of the bunch. Hubby got me a new camera and I am not sure how to work it completely. I do have petrolium jelly and antibotic ointment available but wasnt sure if I should try them. Hubby can pick up bag balm if need be.

She has been inside for a week now and her toes were still able to move at that point. This seems to have just come on in the last day or 2. I did notice when I was soalkng her feet that there seem to be swollen areas on the top of both feet not open sores and if i touch them she gets cranky ( i dont blame her a bit). There are no vets around here that treat chickens so I am trying to learn all I can to help my babies. Should I put her on an antibotic? Is there hope for her?

44154_bantie_foot.jpg

44154_bantie_foot_2.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom