Need help please for hen with lump on back end and puffy lumps under both eyes

I think it is an infection or an ingrown feather. I don't think it is too serious... but I am defiantly NOT a professional. I suggest keeping an eye on her throughout the weekend to make sure she doesn't get worse and then taking her to the vet first thing on Monday.

7-8+ years,with a lump on her back end, about 2 inches below her vent.
She is in a molt and quite lethargic but eating and walking around although not much.
The hen also has puffy little sacks under both eyes.
I agree, I think I would leave the lump alone and let the vet take a look.

The lethargy and puffy little sacks under both eyes is an interesting symptom as well.
Can you get some photos of that?

Have you added any new birds recently?

As mentioned in the previous posts getting her to eat would be good. I usually focus on hydration first then offer wet feed. Hopefully she will feel better soon, keep us posted.

I agree, I think I would leave the lump alone and let the vet take a look.

The lethargy and puffy little sacks under both eyes is an interesting symptom as well.
Can you get some photos of that?

Have you added any new birds recently?

As mentioned in the previous posts getting her to eat would be good. I usually focus on hydration first then offer wet feed. Hopefully she will feel better soon, keep us posted.
Thank you. Vet will be here in a few hours and I hope she will be able to figure it out. Hen is still eating and drinking well. Just lies down though and not moving around. Her lumps under her eyes have grown and her cone is swollen. I think she got pecked on her cone as there was a blob of dried blood on top a few days ago but nothing since. I only have 2 hens and they are both older. Have not introduced anything new at all.

Attachments

• pea.jpg
    pea.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 4
Thank you. Vet will be here in a few hours and I hope she will be able to figure it out. Hen is still eating and drinking well. Just lies down though and not moving around. Her lumps under her eyes have grown and her cone is swollen. I think she got pecked on her cone as there was a blob of dried blood on top a few days ago but nothing since. I only have 2 hens and they are both older. Have not introduced anything new at all.
Let us know what the vet says.
Her ear is really swollen isn't it, I would look inside the ear for infection, an imbedded tick or something like that (all over her head for a tick). Inside the beak for evidence of pus, lesions, etc. too.

Thank you everyone, sadly our vet felt she was unlikely to recover due to her advance age. We didnt want her to suffer so we had her peacefully euthanized. Vet felt something such as cancer possibly going on. She was swelling in her legs and her face and throat. I appreciate all of the kind advise and have learned a lot from it. If anyone lives on Vancouver Island in Cowichan Valley area and has a healthy hen they'd like to sell to me pls let me know. I'm down to one now and she'll need a friend.

Sorry that she is gone now, but glad you put her out of her misery. I don't live near you but you could try putting it on Facebook/Facebook marketplace. Or make a new thread to ask on here. Hope you get another friend for your other chickens.

Thank you everyone, sadly our vet felt she was unlikely to recover due to her advance age. We didnt want her to suffer so we had her peacefully euthanized. Vet felt something such as cancer possibly going on. She was swelling in her legs and her face and throat. I appreciate all of the kind advise and have learned a lot from it. If anyone lives on Vancouver Island in Cowichan Valley area and has a healthy hen they'd like to sell to me pls let me know. I'm down to one now and she'll need a friend.
I'm sorry about your hen, I'm glad your vet was able to see her :hugs

Back
Top Bottom