Need Help Please!....still Soft !

mljohnson05

Songster
8 Years
May 16, 2011
Missouri
I have never had issues with pullets having soft eggs...
However this year my silkie (who is about 6 months old) Just started laying eggs.
all 4-5 eggs (that is all she has layed) have been soft/thin rubbery shell, and because of that she has eaten the yolk.
She has layer feed, and free choice calcium, and crushed egg shells and oyster shells ( which she refuses to eat!!!!)
There are no infestation and all had been wormed over 1 month ago....
What else can I do to make her eggs hard shell and to stop the eating due to soft shell?????
I go out every hour to check on them and for eggs, and it always happens that she lays inbetween that time.
I am at wits end on what to do
sad.png

God Bless,
Laura

Last edited:
Wish I could help. It's my guess that this is just how she "is". She may have a genetic factor that is causing this. Is there some sort of calcium supplement that you can put in her water???

I have one hen who I have to feed crushed egg shells to for the calcium. I tried oyster shell but she would not touch it. As long as I have egg shells crushed and available to her, her egg shells are nice and hard. If I forget for a bit...they start thinning and then are completely soft or non-existent.
sharon

Quote:
I also have a dish of crushed egg shells out for her....

I am hoping it is because she is 6 months and just starting to lay.....cause otherwise I am at a loss
sad.png

Maybe so. I read a thread that suggested a supplement to help them absorb the calcium but I cannot remember what it was as I didn't need it. You could do a search to see.
sharon

Grind up the egg shells in a blender or one of those magic bullet type mixers. Cook up some scrambled eggs with the powdered shells mixed in.
You should be able to buy liquid calcium or just grind up a calcium tablet but I would try the pulverized egg shells first. They are free.
I think there is one disease that can cause soft or shell less eggs but I don't recall what it is right now. I wouldn't worry about that just yet.

Where did you get her from? Hatchery or breeder?

Back
Top Bottom