Need Help Please!

AlexZ 20112

In the Brooder
May 25, 2017
Morning, I have 4 female ducks a little over a year old. 2 days ago I noticed 1 had been in their pool all day. They have a 150 gallon pool with a ramp that goes up to a little sun deck. Normally they just flap their wings to get up on the deck and walk down the ramp to get out. One was in the pool all day. I went out there and she just kept swimming around then stopped and let me pick her up. She seemed okay just waterlogged. She walked around a bit and started pruning herself. A couple hours later I noticed now 1 of her wings seems to be drooping down towards the back. She tries to pick it up but it goes back down. It was still like that yesterday. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Really hard to say unless she just needs a few days to recover, only other thing that came to mind could be a toxin of some kind [plant or animal] With dropping wings how is she other wise walking okay eating holding her head up okay?
You said water logged so her feathers absorbed water instead of the normal way ducks shed the water on their feathers? Does she have wet feather in other words?
What do you feed them? Does she appear to be cold?

Really hard to say unless she just needs a few days to recover, only other thing that came to mind could be a toxin of some kind [plant or animal] With dropping wings how is she other wise walking okay eating holding her head up okay?
You said water logged so her feathers absorbed water instead of the normal way ducks shed the water on their feathers? Does she have wet feather in other words?
What do you feed them? Does she appear to be cold?
She seems okay, she walks around with the others fine, her head is held up.
It is only her left side and yes a couple of her feathers on the end seem to still be wet, those are the ones drooping down.
They eat dumor feed. They have a secure run with a pool and duck house. They free range in our fenced in yard every other day.
She does not seem cold.
She tries to pull the wing up but it continues to droop down.

Could be molting if the feathers look loose but she may have an injury too if she has to keep adjusting her wing. Usually with molt the feathers start looking loose but usually the whole wing doesn't droop. You might want to examine her wing looking for bumps or lumps or an injury.
Sounds like everything else is covered.

Back
Top Bottom