Amp

Songster
9 Years
May 20, 2011
Alabama
Okay, I will try to keep this short and to the point
I have a younger brother who is irresponsible and lazy
smile.png
He ordered 25 Turkeys around the end of June and received 30 total. He had no shelter, no food, nothing for them until the morning they were delivered. I would go into more detail but I said I would keep it short. There are only 7 Turkeys still alive. My Dad went and took them and now has them at his house. He has told my brother he can't have them back until he builds a pen for them and finds out how to properly care for them. My Dad does not have a computer so he doesn't really know how to take care of them except what some other people have told him. He asked me to look up some stuff and let him know. I have 6 chickens that are 10 weeks old but I know nothing about turkeys. My dad has a dog pen with a concrete floor that he has them on right now. He is feeding them "cracked corn." I'm going to research later tonight after I get my little ones in bed but would really appreciate any quick tips such as type of feed and another other important info.
Thanks

the 2 breeds he has is Rio Grande Wild and Eastern wild

Last edited:
first of all they should not eat cracked corn thats not good for them! they should be on a crumble a starter with at least 24% protein! They should be under a heat lamp as well. you can use pine bedding for them they really should have something on the floor! hope this helps!

Last edited:
If he got them at teh end of June, they shouldn't need heat anymore. The lack of heat may have contributed to their initial die off. The ones that are left should be pretty tough to kill as long as they are fed and watered.

Robyn is correct in that they should get something with more protein than corn. They nay love the corn, but people love ice cream and if that's all you ate you'd be in trouble. Try to find a feed store with turkey or (preferably) gamebird starter. The protein level of this type of feed will be between 26 and 30 percent. After a couple of months you can go down to a meat maker (20-22% protein) or a flock keeper or gamebird layer (16-18% protein). You can probably go with meat maker right now, but after two months of poor nutrition, the extra protein would probably be a good idea.

The concrete will be tough on their feet after a while. A simple chain link fence allowing them to get on grass would be a nice touch.

Search this site for "care of turkeys" or "new to turkeys" and you will find reems of advice.

Good Luck!

If they were got in June, I doubt they need a heat lamp anymore....I feed mine flock raiser as to having the juvy pullets in with them and small roos and everyone eats the same, along with the treats of the day. If those made it after that long without proper care, they should last a few more days. Make sure they have water and are drinking...until you have the food, mine love rice, pasta, veggies, fruit, yogurt, anything I give the chickens they eat too. Best of luck.

Thank you so much!
He did use a heat lamp for a few days after I gave him mine and lectured him about it. He left them outside in an open pen and just hung the heat lamp up. The main problem he had was some respiratory disease. He did get some medicine and tried giving it to them but he wouldn't isolate the sick ones and I am pretty sure that is what killed most of them. The 7 remaining ones are doing well but my Dad is not very happy about having to take care of them. He is on disability and just sold a bunch of his cows because he can't keep up with the work. We are going to move the 10x10 dog run back over to my Dad's house so they can get off the concrete. I'm going to call our local feed store this morning and see what type of feed they have.

Back
Top Bottom