Need help please

Thank you so much for checking on her! I am completely amazed at how she is doing, yesterday I left her in dark cage inside when I went to work, I was pretty sure I was going to come home and find her dead. She was almost non responsive yesterday morning, I was giving her water with a dropper. 7 hrs later, I got home and she stood up in crate! She was very tentative, slowly walking. She ate some yogurt, drank water in her own and pooped. Let her on grass outside for a little back then back in cage overnight. This morning, she is running around eating pellets, drinking, pooping. I am amazed!!!!

Thank you so much for following with me and for your advice. I really appreciate it.

Thank you both for the replies.

Would Mareks come on so suddenly? She has been eating, drinking, laying, walking, totally fine until yesterday afternoon. It is very sudden. She is not underweight, I would say she is average weight.
I agree with Eggcessive, sounds like Marek's or botulism. Since you're saying it came on that quick, and the way she's laying there, I would think botulism is a strong possibility. Is there anything bad that they can get to? Heat stroke is a big possibility or may have added to it. Can they access anything poisonous?

I had recently posted a question about skinny chickens, and had read that free range chickens will be on the slender side because they move around. Feeling the breast bone from what I've read, is okay. But a chicken may be too skinny if you can pinch it between your thumb and index finger.

Last edited:
Oh great news. Boy that sounds more and more like dehydration and an electrolyte imbalance. Each summer we read posts here on how many lose chickens in the hot parts of this country. We live in a hot place only in summer, and I make sure there is lots of shade under trees, and put out flat pans of water in all of the popular spots in the shade so they drink all day long. Electrolytes and vitamins are added on very hot days, every other day. Please give us another update later on how she is doing.

She has made an amazing recovery. I put her back in the coop/run today and she is doing great. Running around, eating, drinking, I am completely shocked, and thrilled!!
The girls have plenty of shade, fresh water in multiple locations and fans going in the coop by nesting boxes... It is super hot here, 104 today, so I know heat can be a factor.... But I think it was more than that, the way her stomach swelled up like a water balloon and she seemed to be almost choking.... Maybe she ate a really big lizard.... ??

They free range in our yard when we are home. I can't think of anything poisonous she could have got into. Nothing laying around... Mostly they just chill in a corner of our covered patio all day....

Thank you for all,the replies and concern, I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom