Need Help! Possible Cockerel already mounting???

Ash8207

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2015
Hey everyone! I need some help. I have 8 chicks, about 4 weeks old. 4 RIR and 4 Easter Eggers.
I think so far I have 2-3 cockerels in the mix. This morning I woke up to horrible sounds coming from the room that I am keeping them in. The most friendly chick (to me), that I suspect is a RIR cockerel, was attacking the other chicks. Grabbing them by the back of the neck and trying to mount. The chicks were freaking out and "he" was still going after them, particularly just one of them. I stuck my hand in and picked him up, he was panting pretty hard. Waited til he calmed down and then he started back up again. Is this normal at 4 weeks???? This is my third time having baby chicks and never experienced it before. Any advice would be great! Is it time to get rid of other cockerels that I suspect I may have??
barnie.gif

It's harmless, who didn't play doctor when they were young?
wink.png

I would just watch them, if it became a constant never ending problem, bunk assignments would have to change, till then, heck, I've seen hens try to mount other young birds...I don't think they even know what they're doing yet, just some instincts or trying to do something else...I.E. establishing pecking order, etc...

Last edited:
Ha! Thanks! I figured but wanted to make sure. I am trying to spend as much time with my possible cockerels. I have had bad experiences with over aggressive Roos. I've been attacked in the past, blood drawn. And my hens have been torn up from mounting. Any signs of over aggression and he has to go!
Thanks again!!!!

Back
Top Bottom