Need help-pullet or cockerel (18 week old Wyandotte)?

Here is a better pictures for
It's still really hard to see saddle feathers (or lack of them), because those birds have such bare patches!

But I think you actually have three males.

The one with almost no tail is the one I already found male-type saddle feathers on, so he is male. (labeled #1 in the original photos)

For the two with tails, I feel that both tails are the shape I would expect to find on a rooster. This is not a very accurate way of sexing, just something that I am sort-of taking into account.

Since the no-tail one is a male, and one with tail has a comb and wattles are bigger and redder, that one must be a male as well. That red-wattle bird also has the biggest, most rooster-y tail. (labeled #2 in the original photos)

Which leaves one with a tail, with a smaller comb and wattles. I do not see any male-shaped or female-shaped feathers in the saddle area, so I can't tell that way. At present I would consider this bird a maybe-female, but if it turns out male I would not be surprised either. (labeled #3 in the original photos)

Their variety is black laced red and this is the only possible pullet.
View attachment 3092765
I agree that this bird is the only "possible pullet." (It's the one that was labeled #3)

It's still really hard to see saddle feathers (or lack of them), because those birds have such bare patches!

But I think you actually have three males.

The one with almost no tail is the one I already found male-type saddle feathers on, so he is male. (labeled #1 in the original photos)

For the two with tails, I feel that both tails are the shape I would expect to find on a rooster. This is not a very accurate way of sexing, just something that I am sort-of taking into account.

Since the no-tail one is a male, and one with tail has a comb and wattles are bigger and redder, that one must be a male as well. That red-wattle bird also has the biggest, most rooster-y tail. (labeled #2 in the original photos)

Which leaves one with a tail, with a smaller comb and wattles. I do not see any male-shaped or female-shaped feathers in the saddle area, so I can't tell that way. At present I would consider this bird a maybe-female, but if it turns out male I would not be surprised either. (labeled #3 in the original photos)

I agree that this bird is the only "possible pullet." (It's the one that was labeled #3)
Yeah, I've decided that #1 and #2 are definitely cockerels-hoping that the other one is female since it doesn't have a large comb or wattles (and it acts like a female, including being the only one to go over when our rooster is trying to give them treats). I also have a 2 month old who also appears to be more likely a pullet at this point so fingers crossed I have those two at least. Going to try and replace the two males right away though. The feathers are just starting to come back so hopefully that will also give a clearer picture for the third one

Back
Top Bottom