NEED HELP! Quick

ChickenRookieFMVA

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Had one chick die afetr haf unziping. I have two that have pipped but struggling!!! It seems as though the white membrane aroud the chick is very thick... I dunnio what to do they are breathing HARD.... Should I Help! get some of the membrane off? Should I help unzip?

How long have they been pipped? From what I read here most say not to help, hopefully some of the more experienced members will chime in soon. Good Luck!

Don't know about chickens etc butwith quail that's an indication of too low humidity..... hope all turns out well!
ALSO if you help them out thru the membrane be careful that you don't hit a blooding vein or whatever they're called.

Last edited:
I had this happen with my last chick to hatch last month. I very very very slowly helped the chick out. First removed all but the very bottom of the shell, then used a sterilized paper clip to start tearing away the membrane- VERY CAREFULLY- you don't want to hit a vein! By this time, at least for my chick, the veins were dry (and the yolk was absorbed) and I ended up getting him out very quickly. If one has already died and you suspect the same problem with the others.... IMHO I'd try to help.
hide.gif

What's the humidity in your hatcher? My first hatch I was told not to help and lost most of the hatch (before I learned about not opening during hatch.) I wish I had intervened, as most of them pipped but couldn't get out of the eggs. If you can see them membrane, is the chick out of the egg? There should not be any membrane left on the chick after it hatches. If so, take a cloth and warm water and gently moisten it and remove it with a q tip or similar. Good luck!

Pulled back some of the real thick membrane real carefully on the one that was struggling. He kicked out in about 1 1/2 hours from then. I bumped humidity up but now it is way high because I have 2 that have hatched...YAY!!! I have two more pipped but one is again havin trouble getting through the membrane... I dunno what the issue is the humidity it def high emough...

Really wonderin how I am goin to leave them tonight... I can't spend the night here at the school though...

Back
Top Bottom