Need help regarding ill Mute Swan

pntdhorses

Songster
6 Years
Oct 18, 2015
SE Kansas
This morning my female swan would not eat. She will not even attempt to drink or dabble. She just floats very slowly around on the pond. My guess is that something is wrong with her neck in that she isn’t moving it. I don’t see any swelling or obvious injury.

I lost a male swan 3 years ago with what looked like a possible snake bite to the neck. We have mostly Black Water Snakes and Rat snakes here. However no poisonous snakes to my knowledge. But like I said, I’m just not seeing any swelling on her like I did on him.

Obviously my main concern right now is that she is not drinking. How long can she go without water? I almost was able to catch her this morning so I could take her to the vet but then the male swan decided to go after me and she swam away.

I would so hate to loose her and I hate to take a wait and see attitude although there is nothing I can do at this point unless I can catch her. She’s been on the water all day and refuses to come to shore like she normally does. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

She is still not eating or drinking. I’ve spent all morning with another friend in our kayaks trying to coral her to shore. But we need at least one other person, ideally 2 others in kayaks to accomplish that.

Did you female survive? I took my female to the Vet. After week of tube feeding and giving antibiotics she passed. Need another for Gunther, my Black Aussie swan.

Did you female survive? I took my female to the Vet. After week of tube feeding and giving antibiotics she passed. Need another for Gunther, my Black Aussie swan

So sorry to hear your girl passed. Fortunately mine made a complete recovery and is back on the pond. Vet is still not sure what the problem really was but the antibiotics seemed to have done the job.

Back
Top Bottom