Need Help! Retreiving deer off of someone elses property...

Quote:
Ah, NO. Trespassing is trespassing no matter what you think of the property owner. How would YOU feel if someone applied that same logic to you? If you specifically denied their request but they went ahead and came on your property anyway because they thought your rationale was stupid and you were a jerk.
... someone was archery hunting on state land. They didn't do anything illegal, but, the deer just happened ...to die on state prison grounds...

Oh please don't tell me these hunters trespassed anywhere on state prison property and were surprised by a less than warm welcome from the prison officials! If so, they should be denied permission to carry any weapon larger than a pea shooter for the rest of their lives!​

Quote:
Agree nobody has the right to come on my property without permission. Not that I have not let some hunt , but If I catch someone hunting or retreiving a deer, they will be lucky if the only thing they get is the 6 months in jail. Ohio said for 1st timers get ,after that its a year or more.

Had a hunter shoot my Dog on my land with a deer slug opening day of Gun season.

I just CANT believe people think, they have the right to go on other peoples property for any reason.

So if your kids ball goes thru your neighbors window, do you have right to go get it without permission.

So sick of people who think, they have the right to set foot on my land,without my knowledge!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its get so bad ,my grandkids cant set foot in my woods during deer season.

Quote:
Any good bow hunter, know how far a deer will run. first if hit they will go a few 100 yrds and lay down,unless chased. He did the right thing by asking, if the answer is no,accept it and learn from it.

Yes I would let a person go get one if ask, if not ask,they will find themself in a Ohio jail.

There's a big difference between vandalizing and shooting your critters and coming to drag a deer out of the backwoods of your property. Personally, if someone somehow managed to have a deer enter our land, I'd go as far as to help them get it in the vehicle (granted, it wouldn't be hard, lol). It would be the same if someone's dog got loose and was on my back porch. If they had come onto my land and done damage, then, yes, I would deny them, but, if they were coming to retrieve something of theirs and no harm has been done to my family, my pets or my belongings, then, no, I would not have any issues, whether they had permission or not. Heck, people will even see the chestnuts along the road and come up and collect chestnuts along the road without permission. Doesn't bother me one bit. Maybe it's the way I was raised.
hu.gif
We were always allowed to venture anywhere we wanted on the mountain. We could collect excess apples from the elderly neighbor's orchard to make cider, we could hunt any of the woods up there, etc. Now, I'll pass on the same respect to others.

ETA: When we were younger, someone crippled a nice PA buck (10pt) with a rifle. It was an idiot shot, he just busted up the leg of the buck. The deer ended up coming right through our yard and laid down in our woods. We knew where it had gone down, and walked the way the deer had come and met up with the hunter. We have no idea who it was, but dad took him up and showed him where the deer was so that he didn't have to track it.

Last edited:
Around here it is the law that if you shoot a deer and it runs on someone's land you get it. If you don't get it your breaking the law, and if they don't let you get it they are breaking the law. You can only follow the blood trail and leave the same way you came but they can not stop you from doing that. Besides, unless they have some type of plants they shouldn't have, or something else they are hidding there is no reason they should have a problem with you walking a few yards on their land to get a deer... its not like a deer runs for miles after its been shot unless you chase it. It is also the law that whoever does the killshot is the one who tags the deer, so if it runs on their land and they finish it off it is their deer so they don't need to keep you off their land to claim the deer. Thats the law here, could be different where you are.

The worst type of scum bag is one that lets a animal that was shot, suffer. I hope that selfish neighbor at least made sure that the deer didnt suffer and was taken care of...

Last edited:
I had a deer jump a fence onto a neighboring property a couple of years ago and when I asked permission to retreive my deer the landowner said no. I called the state DEP and they sent out a game warden. He asked the landowner if I could take my deer which was now in the bucket of his tractor. The landowner again said no. At this point the game warden arrested him for possession of the deer without a harvest tag and hunting license and poaching. I was asked to wait on the roadside where a short time later the state gave me my deer which was immediately tagged.

The issue isn't whether or not YOU would mind if someone came on your property to retrieive something of theirs. Rather, it's an issue of perspective, & permission denied, and a disregard for another's clearly stated wishes about their own property. And being dismissive and calling names because they don't see things your way. A man was asked for permission to retrieve a fallen deer and for whatEVER reason, rational, irrational, because the voices in his head said so, he said NO. Oh well. The only other recourse is legal, through the game warden or whoever, or personal, finding ways to befriend an unfriendly neighbor.

It's really nice that you allow folks to collect nuts or deer from your land, that you had congenial relationships with past neighbors collecting windfalls. But not everyone has/had such pleasant experiences, everyone has different personal boundaries in addition to their property lines. Would you mind if neighbors came into your chicken coops and helped themselves to "excess" eggs from the nest boxes? Or took a "spare" bird home for their supper? Some people might think you were stupid or a jerk to deny them these liberties and go ahead anyway. How would you feel then?

Quote:
woot.gif

Birdgirl State Law are alot like Ohio, here a land owner doesnt need a permit, but must take any deer he killed and have it tagged. So yes if the neighbor took the deer without letting the states Know, or tagging it. Birdgirl you could turn him in for possession the deer. Good idea if thats the reason he didnt let your husband get it.

Back
Top Bottom